Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing a bit of reading on DIS coils, it says that its not as good for high cylinder pressures like turbos and nitrous. I'm getting ready to fire it up and was wondering if I should look into putting my digital 7 back in. I'm running a sbf 412 with about 500-600 hit

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,422 Posts
I ran 1100hp total through my SBC (engine + juice) and had no problems firing that off. I know there are others that made much more power with no issues firing the cylinders. Most of the problems with the DIS have been with the 60-2 trigger wheels, either runout problems due to crank flex (or other issues), or the wheels possibly vibrating. As far as the DIS coils and what they can fire, I don't see you having an issue with that. I'd use a crank trigger and a gutted distributor for the cam sync (other ways to do that also).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There was a guy in the turbo section that had a coil fail and he got a stock coil to finish the race with and was running a bunch of boost. Chad Henderson runs 3+ kits with them also. When you have 4x the normal coil saturation time you will be fine over a MSD coil.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the input, I'm running a msd crank trigger with a holley hall effect cam sensor, I also know if you increase the dewell for the coils they may run hotter but I'm only running the motor a few seconds at a time. Increasing the dewell time something I should do or not.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Which DIS system are you referring to?
Holley's Waste Fire DIS or GM LSx COP?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't increase the coil's dwell time beyond 1.8 msec.
I think coil reliability is just as important at such high power levels.

Holley DIS manual said:
10.5 Software Setup
The following must be properly set up in the software to run a Holley DIS system.
In the System Parameter ICF, select “Ignition Parameters” tab and look at the “Ignition Type” drop-down.
• If a Hall Effect Cam Sync is being used, select “Holley DIS, 60-2 Wheel, HE Cam Sync. Both the cam and crank triggers must be “Falling Edge” triggers.
• If no Cam Sync is being used, select “Holley DIS, 60-2 Wheel, No Cam Sync”. The crank trigger is a "Falling Edge" trigger.

If you are using a different crank or cam signal, you must select “CUSTOM” for the Ignition Type and properly adjust the system.
If using CUSTOM, make sure you use a Coil Dwell setting of 1.8 msec for Holley DIS coils.
In the Ignition Parameters area, make sure you properly enter the FIRING ORDER for the engine.

NOTE: The shield wire (bare wire) MUST always be grounded at the ECU. If you use the supplied harnesses without modification, this will automatically be the case. If you modify the harnesses at all, and do not know what it means to “ground the shield wire at the ECU”, call Holley tech service for clarification. Not doing so WILL result in noise entering the crank and cam inputs, causing potential severe problems.
http://www.holley.com/556-101.asp
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10525.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts