Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a fuel leak on this 4150 for a while now, not sure if there is a couple of cracks in the casting, or just porosity in the casting causing the issue. Is this a common problem with a 4150 main body, or ? I was considering just filling in the area with some sort of epoxy, just thought id inquire here first to get some input. If I use epoxy, is there a preferred type )other than just a 5 min. epoxy? Is there something that I'm overlooking as to the source of the leak?

Some pictures to show more detail of the area of the leaks
IMG_0902.JPG

Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm curious how fuel is even getting to that point to actually leak?? There is no fuel up against the main body at those points, it is covered by a gasket and a metering block, and there are no passages close to those points

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Maybe the main body surface is low toward the outside and the gaskets leak. Put a straight edge across the metering block gasket surface and check for light under it or use a .002" feeler gauge to find a low place. If so, it may require machining it flat or just toss it. What brand is the main body?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe the main body surface is low toward the outside and the gaskets leak. Put a straight edge across the metering block gasket surface and check for light under it or use a .002" feeler gauge to find a low place. If so, it may require machining it flat or just toss it. What brand is the main body?
The metering block mounting surfaces are both good (flat), and it's a OE Holley main Body.

After using a magnifier to get a better look, I found that there is a casting flaw/crack along the lower edge of 2 bosses in the casting, one boss on either side of the body (were you can see the leaks emerge). If you look just above the 2 gussets on the last picture, you can see the crack/hole, on the second from last picture, you can just make out were the crack is just above the gusseted cylinderical area (that is threaded in the center) you can see a darker area were fuel has settled/dried in the crack. I roughened up the surface in both locations with a mini carbide burr, and used some epoxy to seal the area. As long as the epoxy holds up, I think I've sealed up the problem..........we'll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts