Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, do you think closing up the port so much that it never intersects that hole or moving the port down would be a little more "disrupting"? This is common in small block chevy heads and isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, do you think closing up the port so much that it never intersects that hole or moving the port down would be a little more "disrupting"? This is common in small block chevy heads and isn't a big deal.
I can see that it is a problem in a smaller intake runner & low port.
Does the bolt extend though the hole or is it the opposite?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is present in smaller runner/lower port heads also, but it just isn't a problem. The bolt doesn't extend out of the hole into the port, but you do use a thread sealant on the rocker arm studs/shaft mount pedestal bolts when assembling the head.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you run the bolt all the way down into the runner it will help swirl and atomize the air/fuel. Try it!!!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have back-to-back tested that, first with bare hole (not open to outside, with stud installed), then with the hole closed up and smoothed over with clay. Results; no measurable difference, at least on the heads tested.
mw

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Poor attempt at humor I suppose.:)
Sounded like good advice for the competition, He He. There was a local smart ass one time that asked me about the surface rust in his cylinders(tore down for head gaskets at the time). I told him it would help the rings seal back LOL. You should have seen the blow bye and smoke!!!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would want the holes filled in with some kind of compound or install the bolt & fill in the remaining opening & smooth out with the runner.
If the bolt went through you could grind off the end & smooth to the runner. One of the 2 would seem better IMO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do what you want, but i'd be more worried about the filler falling out and causing a shitload of problems....another one of those cases of fixing something that isn't broken.

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
Greg it doesnt matter if the hangs out a bit, a bunch of heads break through at the head bolt and porters LEAVE IT ALONE

When its sticking through you know you have 100% thread engagement, and I want to see this on aluminum heads

If you notice ARP has head studs for aluminum heads with more threads to use every bit of threads in the casting

1 - 20 of 23 Posts