Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats everyone buying now that Lenox starting making theres cheaper? Local hardware store took 3 hole saws in different stages with teeth missing right to lenox at a hardware convention a couple weeks ago. They claim most are bought by carpenters and used on wood so they made them thinner, now i go right threw them.

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
Thats bad news. I haven't bought hole saws in ages, 10years?, i slowed my cutting speed down to 225rpm and i really believe (might be my imagination) that they cut faster and last forever. I don't even bother with oil unless i am doing repitition cuts like lightening holes in box tubing etc.
I use morse and greenlee. lennox and morse might get their stuff from the same village in china i don't know, but i'd trust anything from greenlee.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have found the Lenox brand out of all that I have tried last the longest.They are not he hardware store type that are wood cutting hole saws.I get mine from tooling supply companies and are metal cutting hole saws.The link above for the Harbor Freight hole punches is a good choice for sheetmetal.We used them a lot in work for panels of all types.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Been buying Milwaukee lately. Was susing rigid saws but they seem to have stopped making hole saw. I had lenox and would throw them in good trash can it deserves better. I agree slow speed and slower feed and lube to cool them helps ton. Rigidity in setup is HUGE factor in life of hole saw.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was using Ridgid because home depot would replace them when they broke now you can't find them anywhere.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
damn never knew about replacement thing.But hey I filled out a surveu and got full set free.Not bad for 5 minutes counting telling rep they need finer tooth version for steel and why and how I used them.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Starrett makes the best...just like anything Starret makes. You can find them on eBay pretty cheap most of the time. Just load up while you see them online. I actually like the new Lennox ones. They are thinner and the tooth section of the saw is black and not painted white like the body. I've found they work pretty well.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
Starrett makes the best...just like anything Starret makes. You can find them on eBay pretty cheap most of the time. Just load up while you see them online. I actually like the new Lennox ones. They are thinner and the tooth section of the saw is black and not painted white like the body. I've found they work pretty well.
ive had better luck with the new lennox saws as well and the old ones were great. they run true and cut well and i can go down the street to lowes and buy them. my home depot still sells ridgid hole saws but ive never liked them

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Milwaukee Bi-Metal Hole Saws. Have good luck with them. Use a drop or two of Tap Magic for cutting fluid.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,340 Posts
I use Milwaukee, but I used to use some from HOME DEPOT, but they don't carry them anymore, I don't remember the brand.

I REALLY wish that Starret would have them with a finer tooth count though....

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
786 Posts
I use Lenox and water but use them in the bridgeport for notching and run them at 500rpm. To me when they run faster they are not as likely to grab and break a tooth. Just don't buy them from Fastenal price is almost double for same saw in different package.

·
Registered
672 Posts
milwaukee sux, i bought a 1 1/8 at hd, one notch and all the teeth are gone. i returned it and got a new one. the first notch with the new one it broke half the teeth off. every milwaukee hole saw i buy only lasts a couple notches. the lenox lasts for about a car, car and a half. and starret lasts even longer.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
If you all would build your selves a old "home made" notcher like the one above.....you would throw those hole saws away. lol Sure wished I could figure this "posting pictures" thing out....must be too hard for someone of my intel. lol

·
Infidel
1,820 Posts
Starret here too, best I've tried so far.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts