Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the Sharks game and I have a question, I dont know much about hockey although I find it somewhat interesting even when they arent fighting.

If a player hits the puck and it crosses two blue lines and is touched first by the other team that is icing? Which is basically their version of off sides? Is this correct.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Mike in Motown

If a player hits the puck and it crosses two blue lines and is touched first by the other team that is icing?
Two blue lines and the end line UNLESS it could have been played. If the linesman deems it that the opposing player could have played the puck they will wave off the icing and the play continues.

Which is basically their version of off sides? Is this correct.
Offsides is when a player enters the offensive zone before the puck does. The puck has to go in first. You can, if you have control of the puck, skate in the zone backwards and not be offsides but you have to have full control of the puck.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hockey actually has an offsides rule, which is different from icing. The offisides rule simply means the first thing that has cross the blue line into the opponents zone is the puck. If any offensive players are completely across the line before puck goes across, they are offside (they can actually straddle the blue line with a skate on either side and they are not offside).

The best explanation for icing is that the rule is designed to make you play the puck out of your own zone. If you are behind your own blue line, and launch the puck to the other end of the ice (and it must cross the the other team's goal line), they will bring the faceoff back into your zone. In the NHL, a defensive player must touch the puck first in order for icing to be called. In most amateur leagues and minor professional systems, they have what is called "no-touch icing", meaning whenever the puck crosses the goal line, the whistle blows without anyone touching it.

Icing can be waived off for a few different reasons. First, if the linesmen determine that a defensive player had an opportunity to play the puck out in open ice, but let it by, they will waive it off. Also, in leagues without "no-touch" icing, like the NHL, an offensive player can race to the other end and beat the defensive player to the touch, which negates the icing.

But the whole point of icing is to make you play the puck out of your own zone rather than just zinging it down the ice. So to compare it to other sports, it is a rule to prevent the hockey equivalent of a punt in football.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the explanation guys. I understand, I think.

So then you couldnt just leave a player hanging out by the oppositions net then, correct? He would be off sides because the puck wasnt in that end before he was?

Icing, this makes it to where if a teams getting bombed with shots they cant just blast the puck to the other end to stop/slow the action on their goal?

·
T/S 368E
30,100 Posts

Icing has nothing to do with the blue line/s.
If you shoot it across the goal line before crossing center ice, it's icing.
They can wave it off, as mentioned.

They used to have a 2 line rule, but that was dropped a few years ago. YAH.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Icing has nothing to do with the blue line/s.
If you shoot it across the goal line before crossing center ice, it's icing.
They can wave it off, as mentioned.

They used to have a 2 line rule, but that was dropped a few years ago. YAH.

correct. nothing to do with the blue lines

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you launch the puck from behind center ice and it crosses the goal line with out being on goal or touched by an offensive player, was guilty of it twice today in my league

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Mike in Motown

So then you couldnt just leave a player hanging out by the oppositions net then, correct? He would be off sides because the puck wasnt in that end before he was?
Correct.

Icing, this makes it to where if a teams getting bombed with shots they cant just blast the puck to the other end to stop/slow the action on their goal?
Yes, but the faceoff comes back to your end of the rink.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,399 Posts
Icing is the red line, not two blue lines.... Icing occurs when a player shoots the puck into the opposing teams ice, from his side of the red line, an opossing player has no play on the puck, the puck must cross the goal line without going through the crease or touching the goalie. A Linesman can call off the icing if he feels the puck could have been played by the opposing player or if the opposing player could have gotten to the puck prior to crossing the goal line.

Blue lines are for off sides.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting.

I always assumed that the NHL was dominated by Canadians, is this still true?

With all those sticks and pucks flying around it a wonder any of those guys have their front teeth. Doesnt seem like they fight as much as they use to?

·
Registered
614 Posts
oops, it is from behind the red line, not your own blue line. Still, the point is to make you play the puck instead of just launching it up ice. It's one of the rules that when you understand why it is place, not just what it is, it makes a lot more sense.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oh, and when you are short-handed, there is no icing for the short-handed team. They can launch it up ice as much as they want until things are back to even-strength.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Interesting.

I always assumed that the NHL was dominated by Canadians, is this still true?

With all those sticks and pucks flying around it a wonder any of those guys have their front teeth. Doesnt seem like they fight as much as they use to?
I don't know what the numbers are but there are a LOT more Euro's than ever before.

Fighting is nothing like it used to be but there are still some scraps.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, and when you are short-handed, there is no icing for the short-handed team. They can launch it up ice as much as they want until things are back to even-strength.

That makes sense, watching today I wondered why they didnt call what I thought would be icing but it was probably during a penalty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts