Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I can see that being a reality, for sure. Can't sell the second car, just bought it. Plus it was the first car I ever drag raced and I couldn't pass up the opportunity!
The sentimental car....

Cool calm heads now but if the crash happens heads wont be so calm. Depending on how it happened it could very easily turn out what you thought what was a "very knowledgeable drag racer." just became the " imbecile" in less than 7.50 . Not every wreck is so easily conclusively agreed on. Everyone outside has their single personal opinion and the driver has his. ;)

Like others have said partnerships are tough. Tempers and disagreements happen all the time without them. Personally I wouldn't do it. But if you want to take the risk, and it is all your risk, for a very small monetary gain go for it. For everyone around you sake I hope your a extremely cool tempered fella. :-D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you everyone for your input, thoughts, foresight, and opinions. I am going to take the risk with this guy if we can get the details worked out.
As far as being level headed, lol, since my divorce 6 years ago, I have never once raised my voice over anything. I refuse to argue about anything. If something happens to the car, I'm ready and willing to accept that and take care of the car myself and not think twice about it. That's racing.
>Life is good!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If he does deliberately, which I don't see happenning, he would. If he locked em up, car got out of control, I would. Car is not stupid fast. 7.50 in the 1/8
Good luck getting a hired driver to pay for broken parts and crashed cars. It just isn't going to happen. Even with a formal contract between you and the hired driver, it would be virtually impossible to get him to pay for major repairs or crashed vehicle.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I always have a professionally Attorney written liability waiver under ink before someone races any of my Cars

Just because your buddy won’t sue you doesn’t mean his family won’t or the guy in the other lane or a spectator.

·
T/S 368E
25,711 Posts

Isn't it a damn shame that's what we have to do in this "ONCE" great country!!!!
It's sad that 2 buddy's can't go have some fun,
without thinking about losing every thing you own to some POS leech hoping to cash in :(

If someone takes me out, I will be pissed beyond belief, but suing would never cross my mind!!!
Now if he's going wall to wall, doesn't lift or throw the chutes and collects my car,
who knows, but let's hope I never line up with billy bad ass!!

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input, thoughts, foresight, and opinions. I am going to take the risk with this guy if we can get the details worked out.
As far as being level headed, lol, since my divorce 6 years ago, I have never once raised my voice over anything. I refuse to argue about anything. If something happens to the car, I'm ready and willing to accept that and take care of the car myself and not think twice about it. That's racing.
>Life is good!
Good attitude. I hope you both have fun with it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd be very careful using the word "Hired" that has some very expensive meaning.

I'm not sure what the work comp code is for Professional Race Car Driver,

or What the fines would be if he does not have a CDL, and is pulled over hauling your equipment.. "In furtherance of a commercial enterprise"

Its not 1975, the legal world has changed 180 degrees, and if anything were to happen, every agency in the state, and the IRS, would be emptying out your wallet.

Withholding, garnishments, child support, the list rolls on and on.

Hiring? no.. getting a Partner in an LLC? maybe.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Having drove for 3 owners I always supplied the tow vehicle an entry fees,fuel, an most basic maintenance. I got half of all purses an contingency money. Owner supplied certified car , all drivetrain repairs/rebuilding. I supplied free Labor. Lol.
This is how I did it as well. Talked up front about the possibility of damage and he assumed the risk. We did well and had a lot of fun.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've always been of the feeling that I wanna drive my own ride. I've had numerous people who wanted me to drive for them, never said yes. Less headaches!..... Perhaps run that second car in another class if it fits into another category, or double enter if the event allows (2 cars, 1 driver)..... Shoot, in some big $ bracket races u could double enter both cars and have 4 chances to win the event yourself!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
What are you guys feeling if it's My car, I pay all expense's including entry fees but ask someone to drive for me? I always though 60/40 my way would be fair. What do you think? Driver basically has to show up get in the car and do his thing.

I want to be fair, but I need to pay the bills also.

·
T/S 368E
25,711 Posts

AGAIN, giving a guy a running car & trusting him not to crash it, is as fair as it gets!!!
He has zero investment, what more fair can you get.
He absolutely should pay for every thing, and split the winnings.
Especially in drag racing, you can race your tow truck, so it's not like he's doing you a favor.
He can race any time he wants, show up & race.
You are handing someone a huge investment. I'm assuming you are not making a million dollars from sponsors??
This is a car you paid every penny for, you make no income from running it and have no contracts requiring you run it a set times per year.

Good luck, race safe!!

·
Maderator
16,157 Posts
I’ve driven for several different people, many different agreements on how it was done, it all depends on what you are comfortable with, my favorite gig was actually driving the 69 camaro I own now for the previous owner, He paid for everything and supplied everything I needed, brand new f250, trailer, golf cart, race car, tools and fuel, it ended up being very lucrative for us, I was juving with the car and had a really good couple seasons, when I got back I tossed him the check and let him decide what to do, he always gave me 50 percent.

·
Registered
13,882 Posts

AGAIN, giving a guy a running car & trusting him not to crash it, is as fair as it gets!!!
He has zero investment, what more fair can you get.
He absolutely should pay for every thing, and split the winnings.
Especially in drag racing, you can race your tow truck, so it's not like he's doing you a favor.
He can race any time he wants, show up & race.
You are handing someone a huge investment. I'm assuming you are not making a million dollars from sponsors??
This is a car you paid every penny for, you make no income from running it and have no contracts requiring you run it a set times per year.

Good luck, race safe!!

Another zinger from midwestgary. (MWgary) You aren't asking anyone to drive your cars, relax. Lots of people own cars that they choose not to race, for various reasons. Every situation is different. I've driven a ton of fast cars that I didn't own. I didn't ask to drive those cars. The owner asked me to drive the car. I respect the car and the owner.

Turn key car, owner pays fuel, entry, maintenance and transportation. I will work on the car, owner pays for parts. 50/50 on winnings. I have no problem showing up and driving. If I am transporting, storing, and paying for fuel & nitrous/ice. I take all of the purse.

Every agreement is different.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
What are you guys feeling if it's My car, I pay all expense's including entry fees but ask someone to drive for me? I always though 60/40 my way would be fair. What do you think? Driver basically has to show up get in the car and do his thing.

I want to be fair, but I need to pay the bills also.
Sounds very fair to me.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts