Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any feelings about them one way or another? smells like a good idea to me, but................... I would like to hear from folks that have run them.

thanks

Bob

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Bobalos said:
anyone have any feelings about them one way or another? smells like a good idea to me, but................... I would like to hear from folks that have run them.

thanks

Bob
Have been running them for several seasons now with tremendous success in endurance applications.

Best bet for a reasonably priced lifter if you can afford the weight (vs. Jesel or LSM designs).

·
Super Moderator
35,258 Posts
I've run them in a couple engines with great success too. They are a cheap alternative to the Isky Red Zone lifters, and probably equal in quality and durability.

There's a new lifter out by Schubeck that is very intersting but don't know anyone using it.

I've been using Comp lifters lately and have seen a tremendous amount of failures as of late, which is making me nervous. But none here yet. Knock on wood.

·
Super Moderator
35,258 Posts
I've seen some failures with the crowers as of late too.... but, many of these lifter failures could be the result of poor engine design.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
hey Chris,

what is your opinion on what kills the rollers.. I've heard everything from too much spring pressure to too little, and poor cam lobe profile (too aggressive). The last bad lifter I saw was a comp type that the bearing failed and caused the lifer to ware the roller almost flat across.(slight radius due to cam lobe)

even the lifter companies wont give a straight answer as to why they fail.........other than the roller is way undersized for the load... The Schubeck lifter looks great, but no one seems to use it........wonder why..

mike

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
What really kills lifters, regardless of who makes them, is valve separation. This will cause problems with Schubeck flat lifters too.

Low spring pressure will cause more problems than high pressures in a racing engine. High-mileage durability is another story. In that case moderate to low pressure will actually help keep the lifters alive as long as the engine doesn't see valve separation.

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
Just stay away from Jesel!!! They will build you a bad set of lifters for $2200, argue with you about what the problem is, you will take one apart and see what was wrong, confront them with it, they will admit they made a mistake in the design and refuse to give you a new set to replace them or even give you a discount!!! I still have 12 left from that set. They wanted me to send all 16 back so they could look at them :roll: Yeah right!!! all it takes is one.. all the others look exactly the same frigen way!!I will never do business with them again unless I have to!!! :smt013

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Chris,

Which Schubeck lifter are you talking about? Might have some insight for you.

The two NASCAR engine builders by me use the Crower lifters, Comp gives them cases of thier products and they don't use them, they give the stuff away to cheap-ass drag racers.

tom

·
Super Moderator
35,258 Posts
Tom,

It's the Roller X lifter. It has a roller in it, that is made of that super hard proprietary stuff that is on their flat tappet lifters. The catch, is that there is no axle... the roller uses the top of the lifter body, as a bearing..... I saw them at PRI, and I'm convinced at the moment that I want to try a set but they're 900 bucks.... and that's a lot of money for an experiment.

This is not that roller lifter they had out that had no roller....

As for the Crower stuff. Well... I'm not convinced they are superior to the Comp stuff in terms of design, but I'm much more confident in the quality of the final product.... they are much more consistant from lifter to lifter. When I use Comp lifters I can find all kinds of variences in measurements... poor quality control.

Comp just released the Super roller lifters which from what I can tell are a carbon copy of the HIPPO's from Crower.... and they claim for the same price as their std. lifters..... which, is only logical as they only difference in any of them is an extra hole in the machining operation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am considering the crower or comp lifters for my engine. Which one would you suggest using?

Chris how long before comp has their new lifters out? Have you heard where they are going to be priced?

Who has the best price on the crower severe duty solid rollers with hippo option?

·
Super Moderator
35,258 Posts
Martin,

Supposedly Comp is saying their prices will remain the same as the old lifter.... As for the crowers with the Hippo.... Call Crower and they will give you a dealer for the best price. I think they are generally around 480ish.

I like the Crowers better than Comp... much more consistant in terms of quality.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am concerned about running anything with needles in either the lifter or rocker!

I have needles in both right now and check lash after each race weekend to see if anything is starting to go away.

These are Comp rockers and lifters. I have had a rocker break on a brand new set. Very fortunate to catch it at the lash check before any damage.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I switched from Jesel to Crower HIPPO and have not seen a problem. 9,700 RPM with a .875 body and a ton of spring pressure.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Lifters

Crane pro-series and Ultra Pro-Series. They make them in .904" too, just not in the catalog. I've only broken one in 6 years with 1"+ lift @ 8800rpm with a lot of spring pressure. And it was on the dyno about 8 pulls in two hrs, springs probably got a little hot and soften up some.I run the .904" now and they have more offset too.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Have a set of Crower HPPO's. Awesome lifter. I use Dye penetrant to check for cracks never had a problem with them.

I was talking with one of the guys from Competion Products, they have a warranty on the Howards lifters and stand by it. From what the rep told me. Have used stuff from them in the past, good stuff, with a warranty!!

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
i wonder what the price is on those crane pro series or the ultra pros
I think about the same as Crower from what I hear, $600-650 about $100 extra for the .904" lifters

1 - 20 of 21 Posts