Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out a good way to hinge a lift off hood? I have a 6 inch harwood cowl induction for my 66 nova and would like to hinge it. I will figure something out, but I was curious if anyone else has already done it.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Been thinking about doing the same thing.
What I plan on doing is getting some aluminum angle, running it up each side of the hood and attaching it to the hood with dzus fasteners (figured that way I can still lift off the hood when I want, add rgidity to the thin hood, but also will still look legit instead of bolts stickin thru the hood.) Then just hinging the angle from the carbody somehow.
Checking plugs is a bitch with a lift-off.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Mine is a harwood lift off that I altered for hood hinges. It's easy to do. It just takes a little time and it itches. You can not use any springs. It has to be a prop rod only in the front. I used 3/8 aluminum that I machined and tapped for 1/4-20 screws and glassed it in place. You need a bolt on to get all of your measurements from. I also glassed in the factory front latch. Bolt on glass is 38-45 kbs depending on who's you use and my lift off with hinges weighed 15 lbs.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Anyway here are some photos I have readily available.
Here you can see I have 3 rods welded to radiator support. We cut the rods, and inserted smaller ones in the "hood side", so they will slide back together. Outer two have holes drilled in them for bolts.

The hood has rods on the inside of the cowl that go most of the way up, and is braced together in a couple of places. We then glassed up the rods on the hood. To put the rods in place, we drilled holes into the rod and hood, held them in place with pins and glassed over them.

The hinge has rod ends and a curved bracket with tubes slightly larger than the ones on the radiator support. With two guys, you just slide the tubes together and bolt in. The aluminum hinges that prop the hood up are stock car trunk hinges. Just lift hood up, push stock car hinges in, and they fold up inside hood. To remove hood, it's just the 2 bolts on the hood hinge, and two bolts on the stock car "prop " hinges.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead, bluenose that hinge set-up you built there is bad-ass!! It looks like it would be really tricky trying to weld those tubes to the rad support and still keep the hood aligned properly.. anyone else have good ideas on hinging these hoods

·
Registered
188 Posts
I made strips of aluminum that mount to the hood hinges with countersunk bolts and drilled holes and put Dzus springs in it for the rear half of the hood. I still use the regular Dzus tabs in the fron halfo of the hood to hold it down. So if I want to open it like a standard hinged hood I just undo the front Dzus and I made a prop rod to hold it up. I can snap some pic's tonight if you would like.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead, bluenose that hinge set-up you built there is bad-ass!! It looks like it would be really tricky trying to weld those tubes to the rad support and still keep the hood aligned properly.. anyone else have good ideas on hinging these hoods
Thanks! Alston Group in Antioch, IL did the work. I believe the Dsuz tabs were in place, hood centered, and the rods tacked while hood closed. There was no engine in the car at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts