1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
SLA's have come a long way. its a very cool process. a lot of our extremely complex low run quantity castings come from them because of the crazy cost of a tool. let me ask you since ive been out of the loop with this stuff. are they now doing this with powdered metal? i remember seeing things about 5-6 years ago where they used lasers to sinter powdered metal in a SLA type process

·
Registered
423 Posts
SLA's have come a long way. its a very cool process. a lot of our extremely complex low run quantity castings come from them because of the crazy cost of a tool. let me ask you since ive been out of the loop with this stuff. are they now doing this with powdered metal? i remember seeing things about 5-6 years ago where they used lasers to sinter powdered metal in a SLA type process
They can print metal. they can even print out a 60% porous steel part, then bury it in sand and pour another metal in it making it 60/40 steel/aluminum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Px6RSL9Ac&feature=related

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they can as posted above, but the process isnt as cost effective as the SLA or SLS processes. The things that can now be designed and a functional prototype made in a few days are limitless and amazing to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts