Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they really better?

OK over the years I have used some state of the art pieces and I have used absolute "junk". Lets take pistons for example. Now I have gone to both ends on this deal. From different ring configurations to different piston weights. I have used 500 gram pistons as well as 580 gram pistons. I have used low tension rings and standard tension rings. OK all things being fair for a nitrous motor I have not seen any improvement in performance with the super high tech stuff compared to the standard off the shelf "crap" As a matter of fact the motor lasted longer and went quicker (due to being able to stand on the tune ups) with heavy ass slugs with standard tension rings. Now people often argue this point and my view is... Why pay more for the latest and greatest if it nets nothing in return? Now this point is not true in all cases.. But trust me the best stuff I have put together has been with off the shelf junk!!! Moral of the story?? Don't jump on a product someone is pushing off on you because "its the latest and greatest" unless you have seen it in person and know for a fact that is the reason in the performance gains... Learn from a dummy like me... Been there done that...

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another example is synthetic oil. On my old 461 motor bearing failure was a on going problem.. One of the solutions was switching from synthetics to standard oil. Once switched over the bearings looked better over all. No spider webbing on the surface, no pushed material and no gulling... Damn it also saved me paying $7.50 a quart of oil..

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
I run a set of custom nitrous pistons (JE's) because I wanted to be around 10:1 compression with a mega top ring land... They're sportin hellfire rings gapped at .032"..... So far so good on a 350 shot.... JE assures me that they will handle 500+, but it's not like they are going to replace them if they break on a 400 shot.. lol....

My previous engine was a "stock replacement" short block.... One of those you pick up for $325 exchange... That was the actual price... I ran that thing with a set of dart pro1 215cc heads, and 200 shot for 2 years, and never broke anything but a rocker stud... I actually pulled the engine and sold the short block to a buddy for $200... lol.... It's still runnin in his Monte Carlo...

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Monty, sounds like to me,you need a crew cheif :-D

You know 2 or even 3 heads are better than 1

Tom

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're counting me as a head.. it shows you wont be any help at all.. Im a dummy with this stuff.. :oops:

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
But Monty. you have alot of hidden talents....hmmmm could he be a good wheel man??

All kidding aside, you are a very smart guy :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Tom

·
Registered
645 Posts
PTE just released the new PT3000 intercooler which is the latest and greatest in the intercooling world. Some people questioned it, but it's now been tested (on the NMRA forum there's a write-up on it). So...some things do improve in the "high-tech" world.

- Brian

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diminish in returns.. How much for how much? The new Duramax is proven to have 20 more HP.. But for $48,000 I think I'll wait.. :-D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I run off-the-shelf JE pistons in my 434 w/ 1" compression height. 2 kits all the time........good for around 40-50 passes. The rings wear out before the pistons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts