Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local track videographer met with a photographer that was there this season with something I have never seen before. On his web site he shows his style for HDR. I thought it was incredibly creative bringing life to some old rustbuckets.

http://www.atkinshdr.com/

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
HDR is one of those things that can make or break an image and sadly many people choose to break them. Those photos are so heavily processed that they just look tacky. It's sad because some of them look as though they could have been really nice photos if they were just toned down significantly.

The more I look at them the more I'm convinced that they aren't even truly HDR images but rather "psuedo HDR."

·
Registered
138 Posts
HDR is one of those things that can make or break an image and sadly many people choose to break them. Those photos are so heavily processed that they just look tacky. It's sad because some of them look as though they could have been really nice photos if they were just toned down significantly.

The more I look at them the more I'm convinced that they aren't even truly HDR images but rather "psuedo HDR."
x2 i hdr alot of my pics, i love the deffenition of them and accents and contrast i can give it more. i do not over due it though, i dont like when a picture looks like a painting to where if someone looked at it they couldnt tell it was originally a photo before editing.
everyone has their own taste

·
Prick Pro PhotoG
1,494 Posts
They all seem kind of fake to me, isnt real HDR made up of multiple images? Some of those shots seem like they are just one picture and heavily post processed in photoshop to look like HDR.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HDR is new to me as I'm a point and shooter but do know settings and a little PS...thought they looked pretty cool but after reading the comments I did some online image searches and noted a lot looked the same as this persons. Now I need to know a little HDR 101 from some true photographers ...did I understand correctly when they state to truly do it right you would take a normal shot, then an under and over exposed and these are what are merged to give various definitions to shadowed or highlighted area to whatever your taste would be or is this just one form?? Is there an example on the net of what a true HDR image should look like that is not overly stepped on with Photoshop. Thanx

·
Registered
112 Posts
To fake an HDR image you can use a raw image and adjust the exposure compensation up a stop or 2 from the original and save it then do another one where you adjust it down a stop or two then save. Next you combine all three images and you have a "psuedo" HDR image....at least I think thats how you do it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
To fake an HDR image you can use a raw image and adjust the exposure compensation up a stop or 2 from the original and save it then do another one where you adjust it down a stop or two then save. Next you combine all three images and you have a "psuedo" HDR image....at least I think thats how you do it.
the plugin Topaz Adjust does a fantastic job at making pseudo-HDR from very very mild to very very wild as well.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
HDR is cool cause it can bring all parts of the image to the proper exposure for more detail, but most of the examples I have seen don't do much for me. They are usually way over done, to the point they look like a cartoon. But then again, a lot of pictures I see floating around are overprocessed, like balls to the wall color saturation!

·
Prick Pro PhotoG
1,494 Posts
HDR is cool cause it can bring all parts of the image to the proper exposure for more detail, but most of the examples I have seen don't do much for me. They are usually way over done, to the point they look like a cartoon. But then again, a lot of pictures I see floating around are overprocessed, like balls to the wall color saturation!

What is your background in photography? Im in no way trying to start anything with you, just courious. Dont wanna say thats fine, Im just wondering. You seem to know your stuff.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
HDR doesnt have to just be three exposures, it could be more or less. In my opinion, shooting one frame and creating the different exposures by tweaking the RAW file isnt pseudo at all; it's really not any different than what the camera would do, and is about the only way to get any sort of HDR image of a moving object. The effect can certainly be overdone, and often times it is...but it's subjective to the creator's liking. The process certainly works better with some subjects more than others.

·
Registered
811 Posts
HDR doesnt have to just be three exposures, it could be more or less. In my opinion, shooting one frame and creating the different exposures by tweaking the RAW file isnt pseudo at all; it's really not any different than what the camera would do, and is about the only way to get any sort of HDR image of a moving object. The effect can certainly be overdone, and often times it is...but it's subjective to the creator's liking. The process certainly works better with some subjects more than others.
Overly done HDR is too fake looking for my taste. I prefer the technique be used more on the mild side. HDR started out as being 3 or more photos merged together but as technology in digital processing has advanced there are HDR effects that can be done with a single image. For the traditionalists, it isn't true HDR but then again everyone has their opinion. I never messed with it but there are some cool attributes that it produces.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
What is your background in photography? Im in no way trying to start anything with you, just courious. Dont wanna say thats fine, Im just wondering. You seem to know your stuff.
I bought a dslr off craigslist and started a business!! ;)

I don't have any background in photography.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts