Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
For the s10, I bought some United Pacific clear glass housings and Auxbeam 9007 LED bulbs. Big improvement over the stock plastic 4x6 headlights.
The Caprice was not so easy. The factory headlights suck, the only aftermarket lights available now suck, brighter bulbs just mask the suck and blind everyone. So... I bought some retrofit high/low beam projectors and a hole saw:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I put hid projectors in everything. I fucking hate leds. Hids outperform them in every metric. The cri on leds is also generally awful.

Check out

And

Hidplanet.com

·
Banned
5,926 Posts
I put these in my '01 ford, that was halogens and was a bit crap, it lights the road better now, decent gain for plug and play. I cant get new headlight assemblies for my car either, nobody makes them, but got some good ones from a parts car, which mustve been NOS, so its good to know the polycarb lenses arent getting heated up like they did with the halogens, or would with HIDs.

Ignore the part about 'for mazda' .. they are just H4s and H7s.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
For the s10, I bought some United Pacific clear glass housings and Auxbeam 9007 LED bulbs. Big improvement over the stock plastic 4x6 headlights.
The Caprice was not so easy. The factory headlights suck, the only aftermarket lights available now suck, brighter bulbs just mask the suck and blind everyone. So... I bought some retrofit high/low beam projectors and a hole saw:
View attachment 113002
View attachment 113003
View attachment 113004
View attachment 113005
Can you show pics of the backside of the headlight reflector and how the bulb is held in it?

·
Registered
617 Posts
My experience may be dated- sub arctic Yellowknife is freakin BLACK at night, I went with HIDs didn't care about fancy colours- just wanted POWER,. LEDs don't make sense to me with the cooling sinks- any heat not used for light is a waste.

·
Age of Acquiescence
33,734 Posts
I have been a lighting hobbyist since 2003 ish....I dunno, somewhere in there.

Started with HIDs, now Im all LEDs. Headlights, interior lights,etc I even refurbed gauges and used 194 9 SMD LED bulbs.

My 2nd gen Camaro, I rewired the car front to pack with American Autowire Highway 22 kit. Relays for headlamps, H4 bulbs, aftermarket projectors....etc

All that ancient tech sucks and most are truly a waste of your time. Trust me.

7" LED assemblies from Amazon for the 2nd gen now. I gutted all the newer stuff off, and tossed it in the trash.

I was waiting for the whole assemblies to finally come down from the $500-$1000 price point and now they are under $100

Be advised, pictures with MASSIVE glare from angles it should not be there isnt exactly desirable either. You blind people

·
Moderater
14,603 Posts
I have been a lighting hobbyist since 2003 ish....I dunno, somewhere in there.

Started with HIDs, now Im all LEDs.
My 2nd gen Camaro, I rewired the car front to pack with American Autowire Highway 22 kit. Relays for headlamps, H4 bulbs, aftermarket projectors....etc

All that ancient crap sucks and most are truly a waste of your time. Trust me.

7" LED assemblies from Amazon for the 2nd gen now. I gutted all the newer stuff off, and tossed it in the trash.

I was waiting for the whole assemblies to finally come down from the $500-$1000 price point and now they are under $200
How did you like the wiring kit. I’m looking at the Highway 15 kit for my Hotrod right now. I’m planning on doing high and low beam relays plus relays for fuel pump and fans. I was looking at this to complete the kit.

·
Age of Acquiescence
33,734 Posts
I get flashed sometimes from people thinking i have high beams on, not often, but it happens.. my answer is to flash the high beams back so they get proper blinded and understand.
You are getting flashed because your LEDs are likely in improper halogen housings and scattering light all over, blinding oncoming drivers

i had the same problem back when I first started with HIDs in 2004

·
Age of Acquiescence
33,734 Posts
How did you like the wiring kit. I’m looking at the Highway 15 kit for my Hotrod right now. I’m planning on doing high and low beam relays plus relays for fuel pump and fans. I was looking at this to complete the kit.
Lets put it this way.....

12 years ago I was a virgin at wiring and electronics, and I crimped, soldered, and shrunk EVERY connection with Metripack and Weatherpack terminals.

I loved it, and the instructions made it easy enough for a beginner to grasp the concepts. All wiredls, labeled all the way, and very easily ID'd. I tried to wire a Painless harness in 1998 as a beginner and gave up, their instructions blew ass

My car is 100% custom ground up and LSx powered also, so not plug n play paint by numbers

7-8 or so years ago, Painless ended up sending a rep to join Nastyz28 to get input from AA users, and copied their layouts.and charged more 🤣

Reactions: 70Underpressure

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I have a friend who gave me two pairs of the 4" x 6" "Halogen" light housings that will fit my '79 Mustang Cobra but I'm not sure if I will use them or not. These are the type where you can simply install an LED lamp into the back of them but I'm hesitant to use them because they were designed for Halogen bulbs - not LED's. From what I understand, if I do use them and install the LED lamps, the light beams won't be reflected correctly and it'll blind oncoming drivers. Anyone know if this is true or not?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have a friend who gave me two pairs of the "Halogen" light housings where you can simply install an LED lamp into them but I'm hesitant to use them because they were designed for Halogen bulbs - not LED's. From what I understand, if I do use them and install the LED lamps, the light beams won't be reflected correctly and it'll blind oncoming drivers. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Are you talking about in your Mustang? If so, check this video out. john11gt sent it to me, and it might work for your four eye...

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Man I was just looking at options this week for a classic. Found some here and there but don’t trust them. Needs to be a drop in or I’m out. Can’t hack up this car and need to be able to swap back with ease. I’ll be reading this one

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Earlier this year I researched this for my 63’ Galaxie that’s mostly original and factory wiring untouched. I decided against new LED lights in 7” housing and decided to install relays to remove the load off the headlight switch. The result was better than expected, the output of the factory lights increased a fair amount and driving at night is much more comfortable.

I’d like to punch every driver in the face that drives around with LED bulbs in old 80’s and 90’s style refractive housings. It blinds oncoming drivers and it looks like shit.

I had bought HID projectors for my foxbody but never installed them due to the fact they radically change the look of the front end in a negative way IMO.

·
Age of Acquiescence
33,734 Posts
. From what I understand, if I do use them and install the LED lamps, the light beams won't be reflected correctly and it'll blind oncoming drivers. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Yes it is true.

You need to update the housings for LED. Its at all time low costs VS years ago

Reactions: Hissing Cobra
21 - 40 of 49 Posts