Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really interested in what came in your off-the-lot driver / "hot rod", well, unless you had a choice of headlight types somehow, and and picked one type over the other. More interested in folks that upgraded their old halogen headlights -- what do you like and why? Me? Not a fan of HIDs because they always require hacking into the car's wiring, and then you have to find a clean place for that unsightly heat sink. I have seen some very well-done jobs, of course, but I've also seen a lot of hacked work, too, which makes me wonder why they changed in the first place. I like LEDs - easy, clean install, nice light. But that said, I'm not the king of headlights, so, lay it on me...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've installed hundreds of every type of light. PIAA platinum is all I will sell now. I have boxes and boxes of HIDs and other stuff that have been removed. Probably sold and installed few hundred sets of the PIAA's and had maybe 3 defective light's needing swapped. Whatever you get make sure it's clockable including the heat sink, 95% are a plug and play. There will be some eye training as there will be some dark spots which is pretty unavoidable dropping them in a stock housing but it's worth the distance and light output. There's some good stuff out there besides what I pimp

·
Banned
41,553 Posts
I've installed hundreds of every type of light. PIAA platinum is all I will sell now. I have boxes and boxes of HIDs and other stuff that have been removed. Probably sold and installed few hundred sets of the PIAA's and had maybe 3 defective light's needing swapped. Whatever you get make sure it's clockable including the heat sink, 95% are a plug and play. There will be some eye training as there will be some dark spots which is pretty unavoidable dropping them in a stock housing but it's worth the distance and light output. There's some good stuff out there besides what I pimp
Do these PIAA's draw less voltage than halogen?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do these PIAA's draw less voltage than halogen?
Much much more efficient. Go to O'Reilly or online and get the Sylvania LED's for blinkers, brakes and tail light if needed as the off brands just don't seem to last and they have a lifetime warranty. That will free up lots of voltage and look better. I personally didn't add any resistors to my personal cars I think the faster brighter flashing gets more idiot's attention

·
Banned
41,553 Posts
Much much more efficient. Go to O'Reilly or online and get the Sylvania LED's for blinkers, brakes and tail light if needed as the off brands just don't seem to last and they have a lifetime warranty. That will free up lots of voltage and look better. I personally didn't add any resistors to my personal cars I think the faster brighter flashing gets more idiot's attention
Good suggestion, I will do so. Do they makes head light bulbs, too?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good suggestion, I will do so. Do they makes head light bulbs, too?
Not sure to be honest. Also to anyone reading this and thinking about the questionably cool aftermarket headlight housings just don't. They all suck shit and there is zero thought into the light output. Shit should be banned. The PIAA's are around $110ish a pair on Amazon with a 2 year warranty.

Superbrightleds.com is a great source for led info and equipment. I have installed some of their stuff and it seems fine to me.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
LEDs, especially the headlight "size" have significant size heat sinks too. Where I used to work, we thought LED headlights were the fashizzle until the design matured and we saw how big the heat sink was. Nice lights, save a bit of weight but the heat sinks a necessary evil. (See AXYS snowmobile headlight)

·
Registered
226 Posts
For older rides (think 60s muscle cars) you can do yourself a favor and first install relays for the headlight to take the load off the factory headlight switch. I did that and upgraded my signal bulbs to LEDs. They are much brighter. I may do the headlights at some time but the relays have helped. 65 mustang coupe.

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
8,057 Posts
I run LED’s in all of my stuff ( there is not a single “standard” bulb in anything I’ve got, interior lights and everything are LED ) using factory housings. I have good luck with them, I didn’t notice anything with voltages but all my shit has at least a 150 amp alternator, but just the very nature of LED’s I know it’s drawing less.

I swapped over to them after having all these new cars with headlights that’ll light up a flys ass from a 1/2 mile away. Figured fuck it, if I gotta squint to see, then squint harder to see when a new vehicle goes by I might as well join the crowd. They aren’t crazy, but I do get flashed by older vehicles sometimes.

·
Banned
9,321 Posts
LED's which use the Phillips ze-s chips are the best LED i know of so far. I installed them into the factory light housings and they completely transformed my camaro lights. Just the low beam are now good enough for most night time highway driving. I get flashed sometimes from people thinking i have high beams on, not often, but it happens.. my answer is to flash the high beams back so they get proper blinded and understand. This is low beam on only, and daytime..

I've also led'd the rest of the car, interior and genuine phillips led park/brake bulbs in the tail lights also.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I’m running h4 LEDs in my fox body. New glass housings with h4 led lights. Awesome output, hardly any amp draw and a nice cut off line. The lights were like $40 a pair , I’m running both high and low beams.

LED low beam on the left and stock headlamp on the right.

·
Registered
788 Posts
LEDs, especially the headlight "size" have significant size heat sinks too. Where I used to work, we thought LED headlights were the fashizzle until the design matured and we saw how big the heat sink was. Nice lights, save a bit of weight but the heat sinks a necessary evil. (See AXYS snowmobile headlight)
The LEDs I’m running, the heat sink and fan sticks out no further than the stock bulb. It looks a lot bigger but once installed it is the same length.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Would a rear facing mirror that could be raised in the back window discourage nitwits who feel it’s perfectly ok to drive around with search lights as head lamps? Blinding all those unfortunates who cross their path. I’m surprised someone temporarily blinded and subsequently has an accident hasn’t sued all responsible.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts