Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very hesitant to make a post here... then I thought to myself WTF was I thinking. The people that we race with are my second family so there is no reason why I should be shy asking for support. Please take a minute to read my story. If you want to make a donation that would be great. At the end of the day the one thing that is I learned in the last year is that you need to take the time to tell people how you feel about them. I am sure that everyone has heard a dozen times but you never know what is going to happen every day.

For those who know me you already know that 2007 was a roller coaster of a year. Early in the year I was diagnosed with Wegener's granulomatosis. It is a rare type of vasculits that can be fatal if not treated agreesively right away. The doctors told me that the treatment would be simple… lots of steroids and a few rounds of chemotherapy. So the first thing that I asked was do I have cancer? Thankfully it was not. I received my last chemo treatment in August and tried to return to work. About a month later I was sitting in the office with my sister joking around with each other. She kept messing with a bump that she had on her head. After going thru my ordeal I insisted that she her doctor. You can never be to sure what your body is doing. The only reason that she could think that she had the bump was from an incident that happened over a month earlier when she had bumped her head in the same spot. However this bumped just appeared and the time between when she hit her head and when the bump appeared did not make much sense. She finally went to see her doctor and he thought that she may have possibly fractured her skull when she bumped it. He said that it is common for this to happen and heal itself however as time passes an infection can develop, this made sense. He wanted to a biopsy to confirm what he was thinking. The first attempt to get the biopsy was unsuccessful so the doctor scheduled her to have a procedure done at the hospital. Since they could not get a sample with a syringe they would have to make an incision in her scalp and take a sample. What the doctor found was a solid mass.

The oncologist, Dr. Engel, came in and gave his preliminary findings. She had lymphoma. He thinks that it is non-Hodgkin's but will have to do some testing to confirm this. Dr. Engel meet with the family in the hospital room and gave us all the news. After reviewing all the cat scans and blood work he confirmed that she does have Non-Hodgkin's large diffuse B-cell Lymphoma. It is a type of cancer that starts in the lymph nodes and spreads quickly. He assured us that it is very treatable however that it was spread throughout her body and he called it stage 4. They started her treatment right away. They used what is called a CHOP-R therapy. It is several kinds of chemo (one had to be injected thru her spine) as well as an antibody and steriods. She was scheduled for 8 rounds of this.

There are not any words that can explain my feelings when this happened. I know what it is like to think that you are perfectly healthy. Then to be sitting there and have a doctor tell you something and your whole life changes in a matter of minutes. It is one thing to have this happen to yourself but when it happened to my big sister I felt like someone tore my heart out. How can this happen, why her?

Anyone that has been thru any kind of major illness will tell you that your attitude has a lot to do with your healing process. It is hard to stay positive when you are putting your life in the hands of the doctors. You can at times feel very lost. You turn to organizations like the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_lls for information. They are a good resource for the patient as well as their families. I have gone to their websites many of times to educate myself about the disease and the treatment. Because of this we have decided to participate in the Light the Night Walk. It is a 3-Mile walk that will take place on the evening of September 13, 2008. We are doing this to support the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society but even more to celebrate that Chrissy is a SURVIVOR. She beat cancer. I am inviting you to join us for the walk. It is very easy to sign up and there is no minimum amount that you have to collect. If you can not walk maybe consider making a donation. It is a worthy cause that has helped someone that I love dearly when she was not sure what to do.

Susie Silbernagel (Nesbitt)

Thank you for reading my VERY long post : )

To make a donation please visit

http://www.active.com/donate/ltnChicag/2402_Silbernagel

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Hang in there Susie.

I've been doing the Relay for Life walks out here for 3 years (since my mom beat cancer).

See you in MI.

Aaron

·
Registered
630 Posts
I donate to the Cancer Society every year. My grandfather, whom I was very close to, passed away 5 years ago this Septmber from Lymphoma. My gradmother is a breast cancer survivor, so this disease is very close to me. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your sister.

·
Administrator
136,851 Posts
:( Susie, Im sorry to hear this. I'm not very good with words for stuff like this.... Please send you sister our love and tell her she is in all of our thoughts. If there is anything else we can do please let us know.

·
Administrator
136,851 Posts
I donate to the Cancer Society every year. My grandfather, whom I was very close to, passed away 5 years ago this Septmber from Lymphoma. My gradmother is a breast cancer survivor, so this disease is very close to me. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your sister.
Thanks!! making donations for cancer does not only help those who have cancer but also helps those who are in research. Both sides appreciate your help very much...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you James and Monty. My sister is doing well. She actually is getting back to a somewhat "normal" life. I think that thru everything my mom has the hardest time with all of it. First me then Billy's dad [assed (from cancer) and then my sister. These things make you realize that every day is not guarenteed so you need to make the best of it.
Thank you again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Donation sent, you and your sister are and will be in my thoughts and although I'm not a praying man, I figure I can give a couple a try. Best of luck to you both!!

·
Administrator
136,851 Posts
First person to make a $1000 donation gets to make a pass in Tony Nesbitt car. $5000 and they can have it for an event.. :p for $10,000 Mom Nesbitt will cook at the track while making your passes...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Best wished to you and your sister. Cancer is a horrible thing and it's great to see people beat it. Hopefully with some more research it will get easier to beat and even prevent in the future.

On a side note my grandmother passed away from Wegener's granulomatosis less than a year ago. Your the first person besides her I know of that has had it. It is super rare. I'm happy to hear they caught it in time and you are doing better.

Jeff

·
Registered
289 Posts
for $10,000 Mom Nesbitt will cook at the track while making your passes...
You sure about that Monty?

Susie,

I'm sorry to hear and I'll be praying for you and your sister. You know after last year and hearing and talking to you I have been thinking about you and the family. It was GREAT to see you at NMCA Beech Bend. Keep your head up and tell your sister to stay strong.

Monty you hit the nail on the head. Donations will help research to help FIGHT cancer. I donate every week out of my paycheck. I lost my Dad 12 yrs ago to cancer and I lost my wife a little over a year ago to breast cancer. This is a VERY emotional subject for me.

·
Administrator
136,851 Posts
You sure about that Monty?
Mom will out cook anyone!!

Monty you hit the nail on the head. Donations will help research to help FIGHT cancer. I donate every week out of my paycheck. I lost my Dad 12 yrs ago to cancer and I lost my wife a little over a year ago to breast cancer. This is a VERY emotional subject for me.
Maria appreciates that a lot. Im sure everyone at her place apprecaites it. Funding has been cut by 40% in the past couple of years and every little bit helps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone. It os great to know that there are people out there that care. Thoughts and prayers are what get most of us thru everyday. You all are truely an amazing group of people.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Susie,
I don't have much to spare right now but I gave what I could. My 22 year old cousin spent most of his life from 8-12yrs old in the hospital with Leukemia and was not expected to live to see 15. He has buried most of his closest friend that he made while spending summers with kids at camps for cancer patients and is deeply affected by it to this day. I wish you and your sister well....
God Bless,
Brad

1 - 20 of 29 Posts