Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what i posted on the OSCA board. I guess they didnt want the truth to get out so they deleted the thread.....but here is my reply:

"Just wanted to post to clear up the matter for those that do not know... Short version is, the track was not rented by the OSCA therefore they do not have the right to say who can or cant sell photos. Their event was held in conjuction with the regular bracket series and the UMTR race. I am the track photographer, and i am allowed to sell what i shoot there as per my contract with the owner. This would have been a different story if the OSCA had paid to secure the track for the weekend or the day, then by all means their rules would apply and i would of had to apply for a press pass and not be able to sell photos without their permisson. But that wasnt the case, yet i told Laurie i would take my photos off my site anyway.

I had a great time & definitely enjoyed seeing all the cars there that weekend (ugly or not) :) :)"

Im about sick of their shit. I did something i didnt have to do. Maybe its time to put the pics back up on my site. They should have ponied up & paid for the track time they thought they had the rights to! Then there wouldnt have been a prob. When ya try to get something for nothin, ya end up with nothin!

Kel

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,393 Posts
In all actuality, I dont think they can tell you that you CANT sell the pictures even if they DID have the track rented.

would be no different than you selling a picture of Pamala anderson flashing her tits at you to everyone you know.

Vanilla

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes basically you are correct. Contract this, contract that... it all comes down to ownership of the photos and the copyright law states that whoever pushes that button on the camera owns the photo. And whoever owns the photo can do whatever they please with it. Now, when there is another photographer at an event who is the vendor, i have always given professional courtesy and not sold photos at the event itself. I never promoted my business at the track. Any professional photographer would do the same. But whos to stop anyone from sitting in the stands shooting pics and later selling them. Whos to stop that photographer on the line from selling even though they tell me they dont. They do it all the time i dont care what anyone says. I have understood this since i started and accepted that fact that it can & probably will happen. I know some photographers that have been around might disagree with me, but times are changing, technology is gettin much better and more affordable. People can either adjust or get out of the business. Starting line access can be controlled!! If someone does not have a reason to be out there, they need to be kicked the hell out. But that still wont stop people from selling.

I had a similar thing happen to me at Cecil, except the kid was allowed to set up his shop at the event & sell. I had a BIG problem with that. As i paid to be there and he didnt. He had no professionalism at all and it showed in his manner and his work. Yet, nothing was done about it, despite a few peoples attempts. Had he not set up at the track and waitied, how would i have ever known he sold anything, much less prove it. He also should have had to pay a vendor fee, which he didnt. It also happened at Cordova. Track photograher told me to my face he wouldnt sell anything, and offered his help if i needed it. 30 mins later i have racers coming up to me sayin oh i just bought a photo from so & so :roll:

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,393 Posts
Kelly,

I hear you loud and clear. My photos were taken for journalistic reasons, not to sell them later. After a few articles, people started asking me if I had a shot of their car. From there word spread. In 1998, I was down in Orlando. Carl saw the pictures I took and wanted copies. He compensated me by using one of my photos for the 1999 shirts and entry to the 99 race. I wasnt able to make it in 99, but I made sure I was there in 2000.

With the high-zootness (my word, shaddup), of todays cameras, any monkey can be a photographer. You could put one on a tripod and use a remote from the stands to take pics if you wanted to. Its a joke really. A REAL photographer has to change film after 24-36 shots. 35mm may be stoneage, but thats the way it was done back in the day...

Vanilla

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vanilla said:
With the high-zootness (my word, shaddup), of todays cameras, any monkey can be a photographer. You could put one on a tripod and use a remote from the stands to take pics if you wanted to. Its a joke really. A REAL photographer has to change film after 24-36 shots. 35mm may be stoneage, but thats the way it was done back in the day...

Vanilla
haha im diggin the "zootness". I do agree bout the cameras these days. Alot of people think they can just snap a pic and their done....wrong! It might get ya a decent shot but post production work is a must whether your a good photographer or not. I started out with a Canon AE-1 35mm fully manual. It was a good thing because it taught me when to take the right shot at the right time. I wasnt really able to get a good sequence but i got pretty fast with it. Theres no doubt these digital cameras make my job easier on the front end, but i still love being able to edit a photo to really make it pop when i dont compensate with the right camera settings. Im just glad i got to know both the 35mm and the digital. For once being a Gen X kid was a good thing haha.

·
~~www.wickedgrafixx.com~~
2,441 Posts
Kelly,

you don't even want to know about me and the OSCA and how we went round and round. It actually got fairly ugly...at least on my part anyways. I am sure someone here had to see my last post that was removed directly. Afterwards, I got a personal phone call from Kevin.

Believe me sister, I definately feel your pain...and frustration.

Oh yeah, did I do any good as my stint as a photographer???

Tyler

·
~~www.wickedgrafixx.com~~
2,441 Posts
all of my posts are removed from their site. it doesn't matter if it is 4 pgs. dep in a thread and i am simply answering a question from someone that i happen to know the answer to, which is few and far between. i think they have a personal vendetta against me or something because i won't do their shirts.

:-D

tyler

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GrafixxMan said:
Kelly,

you don't even want to know about me and the OSCA and how we went round and round. It actually got fairly ugly...at least on my part anyways. I am sure someone here had to see my last post that was removed directly. Afterwards, I got a personal phone call from Kevin.

Believe me sister, I definately feel your pain...and frustration.

Oh yeah, did I do any good as my stint as a photographer???

Tyler
Jesus, it sounds like they should be in kindergarden not in business. I didnt know you had problems with them also. I didnt see your post or what it was about, but that is definitely uncalled for on their part.

That was a long time ago when you & me were helping Creason, at least it feels like it hehe i really dont remember much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts