Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
21,802 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
They just said on the news that downtown Detroit could be 9 feet under water.

Really?????
No, it's Midland that is under water. About 125 north of Detroit. They are on the Tittabawassee River and downstream from the 3 dams that failed. They are way under water in Midland, and expected a few feet more.

Basically it was the perfect storm. All waters in the area were way over normal levels to begin with. Massive rains over the past week. Then the big storm last couple days combined with winds pushing water in from the bay. Water can't get out of the bay when the wind from a storm is pound into the shoreline.

Relax on all the political theorizing and blaming. No politician would have prevented this. 3 dams failed... why... cause too much water. 500 year storm they are calling it. Record water levels set, many feet over the river record levels. The infrastructure was not at 500 year storm/water level capabilities. Could they have been better dams? I guess that's a theory for probably a large percent of older dams in the country. Everybody else's state have dam's capable of 500 year flood levels?

Water always wins.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Relax on all the political theorizing and blaming. No politician would have prevented this. 3 dams failed... why... cause too much water. 500 year storm they are calling it. Record water levels set, many feet over the river record levels. The infrastructure was not at 500 year storm/water level capabilities. Could they have been better dams? I guess that's a theory for probably a large percent of older dams in the country. Everybody else's state have dam's capable of 500 year flood levels?

Water always wins.
Dont forget the politicians will play on the global warming and melting ice caps agenda.Wait and see.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dow Chemical just activated their emergency plan for their Midland operations. Prayers none of their massive chemical operations spill out, that would be an unthinkable environmental problem. I saw some air pics on the news that showed their plant surrounded by water.

On the good news side, there has been no fatalities reported.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dont forget the politicians will play on the global warming and melting ice caps agenda.Wait and see.
True... and absolutely has nothing to do with it. I've lived in the Great Lakes region for 50+ years. The water levels go up and down. They just happen to be quite high now. Wait a few years and they will be down a bit... repeat cycle.

The good news about the Great Lakes is they are very healthy. My water comes from Lake Huron, and it is awesome. 30/40 years ago that was a polluted mess.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So, mostly farm land?
10k seems small #'s if that many dams let go.
Small towns. That is an area of a lot of farming. Tons of sugar beets. Lot of small towns. Midland is the biggest town impacted and that is not a big city.

125 north of Detroit. Not a metro area. Tons of lakes, rivers, farming, recreation... near the Saginaw Bay.
When the Bay area gets hit with a storm out of the east, water can't get out of the bay and massive amounts are pushed down the rivers.

·
Super Moderator
48,591 Posts

·
Super Moderator
48,591 Posts
61 - 80 of 103 Posts