Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had to pay over and above at tax return time in several years. WTF happened?
I understand that there was some tax reform, sure. I recall getting about $20 maybe $25 more per week in my net pay in 2018. I was fortunate to work almost all year, a luxury not often found in construction.
The Wife's wages were same as it was in 2017 year, mine were higher. Expenses and deductions were similar but they eliminated most of the work expenses we used to use, deductions that often made the difference between a tiny refund and one over $2000.
2016, we got back $4500 on less wages but similar deductions.
Everyone on the Trump Train seems to be cheering him on but I wonder who actually benefitted from this tax reform? I'm not looking to bash the guy, he has my vote but I'm pissed to be taxed even more at filing time. The extra money I saw each week pretty much added up to the amount I owed. WTF kind of sense does that make? It was never my money to have if I owed it at tax filing time.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,607 Posts
It sucked if you are filing lots of deductions, but people who used the standard deduction, like myself, benefited, I earned less, paid in less, but got more back than I did the previous year, and it wasn't just a couple hundred bucks, more like a couple grand.

·
Banned
11,534 Posts
So you're bitching that instead of a lump sum return come spring. you now get more weekly in your check :rolleyes:

Want the 30.00 a week to go into an interest free loan for Washington d.c. both claim zero. all year. or if you already do. have it at zero +30.00 a week withheld. so you can get that lump sum return you clearly need to feel good about the way the country is being run.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I haven't had to pay over and above at tax return time in several years. WTF happened?
I understand that there was some tax reform, sure. I recall getting about $20 maybe $25 more per week in my net pay in 2018. I was fortunate to work almost all year, a luxury not often found in construction.
The Wife's wages were same as it was in 2017 year, mine were higher. Expenses and deductions were similar but they eliminated most of the work expenses we used to use, deductions that often made the difference between a tiny refund and one over $2000.
2016, we got back $4500 on less wages but similar deductions.
Everyone on the Trump Train seems to be cheering him on but I wonder who actually benefitted from this tax reform? I'm not looking to bash the guy, he has my vote but I'm pissed to be taxed even more at filing time. The extra money I saw each week pretty much added up to the amount I owed. WTF kind of sense does that make? It was never my money to have if I owed it at tax filing time.

Should have changed your withholding, see your accountant about next year.

·
Registered
23,780 Posts
I received my first refund in 30 years, paid in estimated as usual.

I didn't get to your mailbox quick enough.

I am not as fast as I was, the 29 years before that !! :p

·
Registered
41,443 Posts
OP, what is the percent of income you paid this year and last? Everything else posted is irrelevant drivel.

·
Maderator
16,223 Posts
OP, what is the percent of income you paid this year and last? Everything else posted is irrelevant drivel.
Bingo, the minute you start getting less taken out of your check, it’s time to start looking toward the end of the fiscal and start figuring.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
We went from a twenty five percent bracket to a twenty two percent bracket and our income went up. Most people are complaining because they lost their SALT deductions. Move.

·
Registered
41,443 Posts
Less than 6% of taxpayers saw an increase in their taxes. I'm willing to wager they have a mortgage in tbe million dollar range in a blue state.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I got $900 more back than last year. Plus another $30-$40 biweekly. And I’m in the steel industry and my profit sharing is ridiculous this year as well. I’m pretty happy with the guy.

·
Registered
14,205 Posts
You have to compare your marginal rate and total taxes paid, not your refund or taxes owed.

I paid 6500, but my withholding was a ridiculous 11% of my pay checks, I screwed up in not adjusting that early in the year.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Calculate your Effective Tax Rates by dividing your Tax by your Gross Income for this and last year. That gives the real comparison. Changes in the withholding tables caused a false impression for any people.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The only person I know that's getting more back than they did last year is my brother in law and he's by far the richest person I know personally. What's that tell you? This is the first year I've had to pay in over 20 yrs. And for those of you saying I need to change my withholding I already claim single and zero.

The funny thing is that a guy that works for me is a big time Trump supporter and has been talking about the extra $20 in his check he got all year. Well he just got his taxes done and is now realizing it was all smoke and mirrors. Lol.

·
Registered
20,866 Posts
We got back a little more than last year with no major changes.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts