Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Denny or anyone,

I bought some black truffle spread today.
Interesting taste but, not sure what to do with it.....

There's some black truffle, olive oil pasta dishes which seem pretty lame.

Kind of thinking, spread on top of a juicy steak might be a nice taste?

Going to try it on top of scrambled eggs (western omelet style) tomorrow.

Jim

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
What about some sort of grilled cheese using that spread and some cool cheeses...( Swiss, muenster, etc??)

I'm liking the spreading it over a steak idea.....report back on how that worked out please.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Jim

To be honest, I don't have a damn clue as what to do with it. Bought some Truffle oil on a whim and it has sat around for a couple of years.
Asked my main chef bud what to do with it and he recommended French Fries but the stuff is so strong I only used it once and didn't like it. French Fries with Truffle oil is kinda a fad right now but learned you need to make a Mayo dipping sauce with it. Hey, good luck with it and let us know how it works out.

Denny

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Denny.

This black truffle spread has a nice taste to it but, very different.

Kind of like the way capers have a taste that's hard to explain to someone.

Have a thick NY strip steak defrosted ready for dinner I will try it on and save some steak for eggs in the AM.

Jim

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Jim

If it makes ya feel better, I couldn't explain it either. Found the Truffle Oil to be a bit bitter and certainly very strong. VERY STRONG. Probably the reason they mix it with Mayo for fries. About a year ago I ran into a chef shopping at Whole Foods in the checkout line in front of me. He was buying a bottle of Truffle Oil. Explained to him I hadn't figured out how to use it and he said he was buying it for some Risotto he was making.

Denny

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
truffle's in general are an acquired taste and unless you "stay" with it, it really doesn't make a difference for a once in a while "treat".

My brother does a little broth for his Diablo claims over angle hair with the oil and turns out really good. But it was an award winning recipe before the oil so it really didn't make the difference to me.

Some of that shit is expensive, my brother was paying 109 dollars an oz for a private gig he used to do. (an oz would last 4-6 weeks though)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bacarty,

is Wegman's down in your area?
I bought a 4.3 oz jar for $7.00

It was OK???? on the NY strip....

Have yet not tried it on egg's.

Very different taste that I can't figure out what to use it on?

I agree, truffles seem to be an acquired taste.

Jim

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
Bacarty,

is Wegman's down in your area?
I bought a 4.3 oz jar for $7.00

It was OK???? on the NY strip....

Have yet not tried it on egg's.

Very different taste that I can't figure out what to use it on?

I agree, truffles seem to be an acquired taste.

Jim
there's different kinds of truffle just like there different kinds of steak. You can go get a steak at Wal-Mart for 3.99 or you can get an Australian grass fed wagu steak that's 119dollars an oz. Kind of same thing with the exotic truffles.

I'll be 100% honest with you, I could get truffle/truffle oil for free and I really don't bother with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts