Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that don't know Don Moyer, I am the race director for Gasser Magazine and now the Webmaster for Gasser Madness. We are about to embark on a project that is intended to bring the Gasser world together and make a sanctioning body for racers and fans alike. Our first step is to develop a true period correct class that will take the fans back in time. Heritage Gas.

Heritage Gas will be based on the 1965 NHRA rule book. All gas class rules will be followed from that year. For the purity of this class, all cars and parts involved must be manufactured before 1965! The reason for this goes to the depth of our definition of a gasser. Tires were not up to the task back then and racers tried to figure out combinations that worked. The most commonly associated modification with Gassers was raising the front end for weight transfer for more bite on the drive wheels. Tires have always been the limiting factor when it comes to racing. In the middle of 1965 the wrinkle wall slick was introduced changing everything. It would be impossible to try to re-create the Gasser Wars on modern slicks. That is the number one reason why we chose 1964 as our cut off year. The 1965 rule book was chosen because racers would build their cars for the next season, ensuring that they would conform to the rules and could run the class they wanted! Many other reasons were also taken into consideration and the early to mid-1960’s seemed to be the most popular era. With “era correct” being the new catch phrase, we wanted to get it right!

We will begin with some basic rules here, and will update continuously on the Gasser Madness web site. All rules are as stated in the 1965 NHRA rule book unless noted amendments here:

Engine: Must be OEM dated coded 1964 or earlier (All engine components)! Internal modifications can only be that of what was available in 1964 or earlier. Proof of era correct modification is required and the responsibility of the owner/operator.

Suspension: The use of hyme ends prohibited. Strict adherence to “full production-type suspension” and must be from US production vehicles. NO exotic sports car type suspension allowed.

Rear Axle: Must be era correct and not modified in width. Aftermarket axles, gears, spools/posi units, universal joints and yolks are permitted.

Transmission: Must be OEM date coded 1964 or earlier. Internals must also conform to the 1964 rule and either be original or exact copies of such. Automatic transmissions may only be modified per 1964 technology.

Wheels & Tires: No wheels can be wider than 10 inch. No diameter greater than 16 inch. Tires must be of Pie Crust design and have a hard compound. Front runners must also be of reproduction style conformant of 1964.

Vehicle Appearance: All vehicles must look like they came from a time capsule from 1964. Lettering must be hand painted. No vinyl graphics. No Stickers. No Corporate Sponsor’s name on vehicle. Hood scoops must be from 1964 or reproduction of such.

Safety Equipment: All vehicles must conform to current NHRA safety equipment required for drag racing. Roll bars, Helmets, wheel studs, blow proof bell housings etc. must meet current Safety Standards. NO Exceptions! SAFETY FIRST! Engine diaper is highly recommended.

Fuel: Gasoline only! Must be pump gas or racing gas from drag strip. NO Additives.

Heritage Gas is one third of our focus. Over the next couple of months we will write a complete rule book that will cover all three classes of Gassers. The other 2 being Nostalgia Gas and Competition Gas. The Gasser Madness site is now under construction, and will be instrumental in all things Gasser upon completion. Thanks for taking the time to look this over and I encourage your input!

·
Super Moderator
49,570 Posts
Lack of parts will kill it.
Hasn't seemed to stop the guys that are building them now.

They are out there if you look.

·
Super Moderator
49,570 Posts
For those that don't know Don Moyer, I am the race director for Gasser Magazine and now the Webmaster for Gasser Madness. We are about to embark on a project that is intended to bring the Gasser world together and make a sanctioning body for racers and fans alike. Our first step is to develop a true period correct class that will take the fans back in time. Heritage Gas.

Heritage Gas will be based on the 1965 NHRA rule book. All gas class rules will be followed from that year. For the purity of this class, all cars and parts involved must be manufactured before 1965! The reason for this goes to the depth of our definition of a gasser. Tires were not up to the task back then and racers tried to figure out combinations that worked. The most commonly associated modification with Gassers was raising the front end for weight transfer for more bite on the drive wheels. Tires have always been the limiting factor when it comes to racing. In the middle of 1965 the wrinkle wall slick was introduced changing everything. It would be impossible to try to re-create the Gasser Wars on modern slicks. That is the number one reason why we chose 1964 as our cut off year. The 1965 rule book was chosen because racers would build their cars for the next season, ensuring that they would conform to the rules and could run the class they wanted! Many other reasons were also taken into consideration and the early to mid-1960’s seemed to be the most popular era. With “era correct” being the new catch phrase, we wanted to get it right!

We will begin with some basic rules here, and will update continuously on the Gasser Madness web site. All rules are as stated in the 1965 NHRA rule book unless noted amendments here:

Engine: Must be OEM dated coded 1964 or earlier (All engine components)! Internal modifications can only be that of what was available in 1964 or earlier. Proof of era correct modification is required and the responsibility of the owner/operator.

Suspension: The use of hyme ends prohibited. Strict adherence to “full production-type suspension” and must be from US production vehicles. NO exotic sports car type suspension allowed.

Rear Axle: Must be era correct and not modified in width. Aftermarket axles, gears, spools/posi units, universal joints and yolks are permitted.

Transmission: Must be OEM date coded 1964 or earlier. Internals must also conform to the 1964 rule and either be original or exact copies of such. Automatic transmissions may only be modified per 1964 technology.

Wheels & Tires: No wheels can be wider than 10 inch. No diameter greater than 16 inch. Tires must be of Pie Crust design and have a hard compound. Front runners must also be of reproduction style conformant of 1964.

Vehicle Appearance: All vehicles must look like they came from a time capsule from 1964. Lettering must be hand painted. No vinyl graphics. No Stickers. No Corporate Sponsor’s name on vehicle. Hood scoops must be from 1964 or reproduction of such.

Safety Equipment: All vehicles must conform to current NHRA safety equipment required for drag racing. Roll bars, Helmets, wheel studs, blow proof bell housings etc. must meet current Safety Standards. NO Exceptions! SAFETY FIRST! Engine diaper is highly recommended.

Fuel: Gasoline only! Must be pump gas or racing gas from drag strip. NO Additives.

Heritage Gas is one third of our focus. Over the next couple of months we will write a complete rule book that will cover all three classes of Gassers. The other 2 being Nostalgia Gas and Competition Gas. The Gasser Madness site is now under construction, and will be instrumental in all things Gasser upon completion. Thanks for taking the time to look this over and I encourage your input!
Don, welcome to the new section! Great to see you posting.

For those of you that don't know Don, he is an AMC guru and has one wicked AMC powered '41 Willys.

Don, this is great news and is something I have preached for years.

Pick a cut-off year, take that year's rule book, add current safety regulations and those are the rules for the class. AWESOME!

The only issue I can see is the "date code" thing. Period correct is one thing, but date coding may create headaches. One in particular, who's going to police date codes? Period correct is relatively easy, date code usually ends up being a nightmare. Just look at the Corvette people when it comes to date codes.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Is it going to be competition ,or a exhibition with no times and speeds and no winner or loser? I like the idea but hesitate with a "show class" that really only does burn outs and wheelies. Anyway best of luck ,I'll be watching the progress.

·
Super Moderator
49,570 Posts
Is it going to be competition ,or a exhibition with no times and speeds and no winner or loser? I like the idea but hesitate with a "show class" that really only does burn outs and wheelies. Anyway best of luck ,I'll be watching the progress.
Obviously I can't speak for Don but I know Don is a racer. He puts his "show" on the track and is very competitive.

·
Registered
27,910 Posts
So Don, can you clarify a few things for us? This date correct, you're wanting to be the one that drives the cost of gasser racing up, huh? What's wrong with era correct? The same mag produced prior to your date code is no different than the same one produced a year after your date code. Or the same mag produced 10 years after your date code theory. See the problem you're creating? Let's discuss.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Don, can you clarify a few things for us? This date correct, you're wanting to be the one that drives the cost of gasser racing up, huh? What's wrong with era correct? The same mag produced prior to your date code is no different than the same one produced a year after your date code. Or the same mag produced 10 years after your date code theory. See the problem you're creating? Let's discuss.
Ok, first this is just one class, we will still have our other 2 classes, nothing has changed. I am as cheap as the next guy, so the last thing I want to do is mess with the market. This class is all about being "period correct" Exact reproductions of any item that was available to purchase in 1964 (or older) is allowable in this class...The parts must be exact and not updated for a performance gain from the original. So for instance, a 327 block is the same from 1963-1967 I believe, so they are allowed. Does this help clarify? Some stuff we cannot police, obviously and hopefully the folks that do this class realize it is an exhibition race for trophies only. That being said when I finish building mine, I will treat it just like I treat my Nostalgia Gasser now! I hate bracket racing and yearn for true gas class racing. This class could be alot of fun!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

yes, it will be a show first and foremost as all nostalgia racing is, however, it will be true heads up first to the finish line 1/4 mile with times and speeds posted. It will be a trophy race only, each class has one winner. We are playing with the idea of doing the same thing with Nostalgia Gas, our litmus test will be at Rock'N'Race for the Saturday night class race at the end of August.

·
Super Moderator
49,570 Posts
yes, it will be a show first and foremost as all nostalgia racing is, however, it will be true heads up first to the finish line 1/4 mile with times and speeds posted. It will be a trophy race only, each class has one winner. We are playing with the idea of doing the same thing with Nostalgia Gas, our litmus test will be at Rock'N'Race for the Saturday night class race at the end of August.
Well this just answered a burning question of mine regarding an index.

It's great to see an all out, first to the finish line wins, race. Just as it was meant to be.

·
Registered
27,910 Posts
Ok, first this is just one class, we will still have our other 2 classes, nothing has changed. I am as cheap as the next guy, so the last thing I want to do is mess with the market. This class is all about being "period correct" Exact reproductions of any item that was available to purchase in 1964 (or older) is allowable in this class...The parts must be exact and not updated for a performance gain from the original. So for instance, a 327 block is the same from 1963-1967 I believe, so they are allowed. Does this help clarify? Some stuff we cannot police, obviously and hopefully the folks that do this class realize it is an exhibition race for trophies only. That being said when I finish building mine, I will treat it just like I treat my Nostalgia Gasser now! I hate bracket racing and yearn for true gas class racing. This class could be alot of fun!
Ok we went from "date coded" to "period correct" which is it going to be, because the terminology you've used have two different interpretations. That's what sparked my think tank about what it is you're trying to accomplish. So let's clarify this, cool? What I'm seeing is yet someone else trying to configure a gasser class of racing that suits their own ideas.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
This is an awesome idea and glad you are getting it going. Now i wish i hadnt sold my 52 Henry J. It fought in the gasser wars and had the scars to prove it. Dont worry about all the nay sayers, i hope to see it get going.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm thinking the very stringent rules are going to keep this a very small group of race cars. I like Gassers but you are limiting the entries into this series by a bunch.

·
Registered
27,910 Posts
What happened to the OP? If you're going to get discussion started how about hang around and discuss. Lol

·
Super Moderator
49,570 Posts
pm him a pic of the injected engine and the Superbaker...let him know whats up :lol:
Agreed

Post up your straight axle, nose high Superbaker.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok we went from "date coded" to "period correct" which is it going to be, because the terminology you've used have two different interpretations. That's what sparked my think tank about what it is you're trying to accomplish. So let's clarify this, cool? What I'm seeing is yet someone else trying to configure a gasser class of racing that suits their own ideas.

The idea with this class is to give the fans in the stands and participants a real as it gets look at vintage gasser racing. It is just 1/3rd of the total event. The idea is to make this class look like the gas classes did in 1964, think Race of Gentleman. The term date coded was used because the term period correct is already being abused. Date coded should be read as casting numbers that coincide with the year 1964, does this help? As far as it suiting my own idea, yes, we love gassers and want to build some events that do not exclude anybody that takes the time to try and build one of these great cars. We are about preserving the history and getting all the different interpretation, rules, and groups together for the betterment of all gasser participants and fans.

·
Super Moderator
49,570 Posts
Let's see it!!!
Although I can't speak for Geerbangr, Photobucket has screwed many people in every forum from posting photos. I know it has screwed me and may have screwed him.

I can tell you that it is a very cool stack injected Studebaker.

I have been busy in the garage, working on my AA/GS Willys, will try to update more often!
Another one????

If you can, post some pics.

The idea with this class is to give the fans in the stands and participants a real as it gets look at vintage gasser racing. It is just 1/3rd of the total event. The idea is to make this class look like the gas classes did in 1964, think Race of Gentleman. The term date coded was used because the term period correct is already being abused. Date coded should be read as casting numbers that coincide with the year 1964, does this help? As far as it suiting my own idea, yes, we love gassers and want to build some events that do not exclude anybody that takes the time to try and build one of these great cars. We are about preserving the history and getting all the different interpretation, rules, and groups together for the betterment of all gasser participants and fans.
I hear ya' on the overuse. Many words and terms in the hobby have been overused and abused over recent years. Some to the point of not being used in the context for which they were meant. Many today use the term NOS when describing "used" factory parts and every vinyl interior is now labeled "leather". :rolleyes:

But the use of the term "date coded" could cause you a lot of headaches as well as scare some people off.

In your particular case I think "period" or "era" correct is really the best way to relay your message.

Also, keep in mind that there are groups out there that do have those cars already. Jim Oddy's group relies heavily on being a "true Gasser". Jimmy's car, "The Junk Yard Dog", is a steel body '34 Willys sedan that still retains its '34 frame, its original '34 front suspension with straight axle and running a 4 port injected, 392 Hemi. Double A Al's, "Caged Heat", also runs old school and all the cars in that group must run a Mag. Electronics is prohibited and strickly enforced.

The thing that prohibits true period correctness is today's safety rules. Elaborate roll cages required today pretty much kill the possibility of making exact replications of what was once on our tracks.

You can make them "appear" as they were but it can only be skin deep per the safety rules.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts