Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sizeable Member
7,748 Posts

I got to take a ride in this ole girl Sunday. I have always had a lot of respect for the men who flew these planes into battle but now I have even more.

That's me waving like a goofball in the cockpit

·
Aviation Section
26,004 Posts
Thanks for that Jimmy! Dad had 24 missions in a B-24 dropping bombs on Germany, the place of his birth. Dave

·
Mother Hen
51,782 Posts
Cool stuff. This caught my eye because I just purchased a bunch of military stuff at auction that belonged to one man. It turns out he won the Distinguished Service Cross for the battle at Ishimmi Ridge during WWII. He graduated from the Citadel and was it's most decorated WWII soldier. South Carolina ETV made a documentary about him. It makes me sad that his family sold this stuff, especially when he has so many grandkids. Talk about the end of an era.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Nice Video!

I got to take a ride in this ole girl Sunday. I have always had a lot of respect for the men who flew these planes into battle but now I have even more.

If I knew it was there on Sunday, I'd have been there for a ride too. Instead, I was out getting some stuff and got to see a freaking B-17 do a flyover! It was awesome! And I'm jealous.

·
Aviation Section
26,004 Posts

The last time I saw the Memphis Belle it was on display on Mud Island in Memphis, did not know it was airworthy, could this be a "clone" using that famous name?

The first time I saw her the Belle was on a pedestal around 1973 in front of a High School in Memphis and looked pretty sad, windows blown out with rocks, dents on the fuselage, and in terrible shape. Dave

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
That generation is about all gone. It is great the old war birds are still around so the future generations can see them, and imagine what is was like.

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That generation is about all gone. It is great the old war birds are still around so the future generations can see them, and imagine what is was like.
I was surprised of the amount of 90+ yo's came out ........ two of em live within a few blocks of me and I never knew it

·
Registered
807 Posts
It makes me sad that his family sold this stuff, especially when he has so many grandkids. Talk about the end of an era.
Same here. I have a 'time-distance computer' that I bought off eBay. It had belonged to a B-24 navigator that was with the 5th Air Force based in Australia during WWII. On April 23, 1944, five of their B-24's were ambushed by 25 Japanese fighters. The dogfight lasted for over an hour. Half the enemy planes were shot down and all 5 of the B-24's made it back to base. I gave $20 for the 'time-distance computer' because they were getting rid of "grand-paw's junk." I could not believe that nobody in his family wanted such an amazing piece of history.

·
Mother Hen
51,782 Posts
Same here. I have a 'time-distance computer' that I bought off eBay. It had belonged to a B-24 navigator that was with the 5th Air Force based in Australia during WWII. On April 23, 1944, five of their B-24's were ambushed by 25 Japanese fighters. The dogfight lasted for over an hour. Half the enemy planes were shot down and all 5 of the B-24's made it back to base. I gave $20 for the 'time-distance computer' because they were getting rid of "grand-paw's junk." I could not believe that nobody in his family wanted such an amazing piece of history.
I can understand if there were nobody left, but this man's son also graduated from the Citadel and he has a slew of grandkids and great grandkids. If it were my grandfather, I would have done whatever I needed to keep it.

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can understand if there were nobody left, but this man's son also graduated from the Citadel and he has a slew of grandkids and great grandkids. If it were my grandfather, I would have done whatever I needed to keep it.
This isn't the first show I've done on WWII Vets ....... most (including my father) don't talk about or try to forget it ....... I can only think it had to be so bad they just push it back ....... a good amount of them start thinking and tear up at the thought of losing so many friends

·
Mother Hen
51,782 Posts
This isn't the first show I've done on WWII Vets ....... most (including my father) don't talk about or try to forget it ....... I can only think it had to be so bad they just push it back ....... a good amount of them start thinking and tear up at the thought of losing so many friends
I would imagine. This man won the Distinguished Service Cross for taking 200 men up to hold that hill. He came down three days later with 22. I can't even fathom what that has to feel like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts