Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep breaking welds at my header flange on the #1 and #8 cylinders on my SBC
headers are Hedman husler ceramic coated.
do i have to completely remove the ceramic coating at the repair area to get em to take a good weld with a tig?
I welded the insides (no ceramic on the repair area)
and still broke loose.
Now im gonna try welding both sides to the flange.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
You should remove all the ceramic material to weld the metal properly. It doesn't take much to contaminate a TIG weld. Try bronze TIG rod, they claim it welds steel better than steel rod does. I used to have a set of old Hooker headers that were TIG welded with bronze. If your welds keep breaking, you must not be penetrating very well, turn your heat up, and weld slower. I've been welding for quite a few years now (TIG) and still have to remind myself to slow down, and really burn the material into the work piece. Also make damn sure you have enough Argon, and shield the weld until your post flow gas runs out. You might be pulling the torch away too fast? Your shielding gas flow should be about 15 PSI. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thks for the replies Ill try the bronze and i guess ill media blast the ceramic off the area.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's about the hardest stuff I've ever tried to get off something. Properly applied the coating gets so deep in the pores of the metal that really hard to get it loose. Good luck!

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts