Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend dragged me to my local gun range to watch a .22 bullseye competition. I've never been to watch one before and I have never even fired a .22 before.

I showed up and was asked if I was going to enter. I replied that I didn't have a gun and I was just there to watch. The president of the club said "we got a gun for you". Hot danm I knew right then I was in the right place!

He gave me a browning buck master .22 with what seemed to be a 5" barrel. The gun was great and I had a great time and can't wait to go back.

Now I'm hooked! If there was ever a good excuse to buy another gun this is it,,,,he he he

I'm just not sure what to get. The browning I used was great but I think a longer barrel might better suit me. I don't mind paying more money to get quality stuff.

Anyone have any experiance with target shooting .22 pistols?

·
Registered
678 Posts
We run pistol matches at the gun club, Browning is what I use for training new shooters. Browning has a full line of 22 pistols (check them out on line) which would be a well worth looking at. They do get pretty pricey in the SS target models, nice firearms for serious shooters. There is alot of after market add-on for them too. Welcome to handguns, one is never enough.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We run pistol matches at the gun club, Browning is what I use for training new shooters. Browning has a full line of 22 pistols (check them out on line) which would be a well worth looking at. They do get pretty pricey in the SS target models, nice firearms for serious shooters. There is alot of after market add-on for them too. Welcome to handguns, one is never enough.
thanks for the browning suggestion. i like the contour lite 7.25

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
I shot a Ruger MkII target for years in league. With Winchester Super-X hollowpoints, that thing was great. If I was going to do that again, i'd either use the Ruger (I still have it) or see if I could hunt up a Hi Standard. They made outstanding target pistols, but they would probably be pretty pricy today.

·
Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
I'm about to get sucked into that as well. My two oldest sons are in 4H shooting sports. The range owners extended me an invite to join the club. They are bigtime into air rifle/pistol/.22 competition. The nice thing about it is that the club has it's own weapons. I really can't see paying $2,500 for an air rifle, but I may enter some competitions using the club's weapons.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
What are the rules? Are there different classes or is it shoot what you got?

If there is a "stock" class you really can't go wrong w/ Browning, Ruger, S&W.

Open class gets a little crazier....maybe an S&W mod 41 high rised and weighted or a Walther GSP or SSP....just depends on what you want to spend.

You could fork over $300-$3000....just depends.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I get to shoot many handguns and rifles at the gun club and teach beginners with both. One doesn't need a $2500.00 air rifle or high buck 22 to shoot well. With time and practice, training a shooter can be done with fair cheap. Check out the CMP's 22 Savage 5 shot bolt rifle for $225.00. I have one that I teach and practice with. It's a investment in training future shooters and keeping me sharp with iron sites. The little Browning does the same and it can be modified if need. I went with the Brownie because it matches the 1911 as far as general feel and placement of safety,slide release and mag release. Yes, there are other brands and models that are excellant Equipment, some with an excellant price. I try to keep it simple and enjoyable. SIDE NOTE: Our gun club has and does train new shooters with club rifles: 22 s, "NM" AR-15s and M-1 Garands. Members can check CLUB rifles out for shooting events, practice and training. Club shooting events and Clinics are open to the members and public.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I shot a Ruger MkII target for years in league. With Winchester Super-X hollowpoints, that thing was great. If I was going to do that again, i'd either use the Ruger (I still have it) or see if I could hunt up a Hi Standard. They made outstanding target pistols, but they would probably be pretty pricy today.
I have an old Hi Standard... .. it's a double nine,,, not a speed master but lotta fun and accurate as hell

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the rules? Are there different classes or is it shoot what you got?

If there is a "stock" class you really can't go wrong w/ Browning, Ruger, S&W.

Open class gets a little crazier....maybe an S&W mod 41 high rised and weighted or a Walther GSP or SSP....just depends on what you want to spend.

You could fork over $300-$3000....just depends.

the rules are

50' distance

standing one handed shooting

any .22 you want

they do 3 sessions of 10 rounds in ten minutes

then 2 sessions of 10 rounds in 20 seconds

then 2 sessions of 10 rounds in 10 seconds

then 2 sessions of 10 rounds in 20 seconds

the last 2 20 second rounds are done with 2 seperate 5 round loads. you need to reload once.

i found a s&w 41 on gunbroker.com that thing sure looks good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts