Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran at National Trail this weekend. Track had decent amount of rubber. Never saw any spray. Track temp around 130 degrees. Car weighs 1800lbs front/1500lbs rear. 36" ladder bar in the lowest hole. Low run 10.5x31w M/T w/tubes, foot brake. Tried varying the starting line rpm from 2600-3200 Had the front shocks full loose. Loosened rear rebound and tightened rear compression on the rear shocks. It just wadded the tire. It starts to pitch rotate. Wheels are up maybe 5" for about 15 feet. I can feel it shuddering the tire. tried air from 12.5-14psi (normal 13.5). Low air just wads and folds the tire. I got it somewhat consistent, then bam spins. When the track is a little cooler it'll go mid 1.2x 60 ft. I wasn't the only car having trouble. We run index. I probably should have slowed it to 9.25. But even with the weather it had enough power to get to 9.00. Day 2 was cloudy. Run 2 was out of the groove. Run #3 broke a trans cooler fitting. Any ideas?
Doug

Colorfulness Product Rectangle Font Line

·
T/S 368E
38,306 Posts

All I know is changing from the 4.56 to a 3.90 was the best thing I ever did for bracket racing!!!
Yes I lost a ton, especially on 1/8 mile events, but I don't give a damn.
Switching to alcohol was huge, but dropping down 3 steps really makes this thing consistent on less than optimal tracks.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
We have ran that track for many years. I have no faith in M/T tires up there. Certainly not anything but fresh ones.Trails is spotty at best and wasn't last weekend the Night Under Fire deal with Jets? Is there a reason you run a stiff sidewall tire? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that W tire was a stiff sidewall. And why tubes ?. That even makes it stiffer. You might want to get a hold of Tim Bowman over in PA. He races a car similar to yours. A mopar footbreak 9.20 car. He runs Keystone all the time and everybody knows him over there. He's VERY good on that type of chassis. Good Luck..

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have ran that track for many years. I have no faith in M/T tires up there. Certainly not anything but fresh ones.Trails is spotty at best and wasn't last weekend the Night Under Fire deal with Jets? Is there a reason you run a stiff sidewall tire? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that W tire was a stiff sidewall. And why tubes ?. That even makes it stiffer. You might want to get a hold of Tim Bowman over in PA. He races a car similar to yours. A mopar footbreak 9.20 car. He runs Keystone all the time and everybody knows him over there. He's VERY good on that type of chassis. Good Luck..
I know Tim. Cars are close but rear suspensions are totally different. Stiff side wall with tubes cause it crushes the tire even off the footbrake. So Maybe I was hitting it to hard this weekend. I didn't run after the jets ran. Worst time was 2:00-500 in the afternoon. I was at Trails a few weeks ago for the Buckeye Stock-S/S event. Ran 1.27-1.30 60 ft. Not a lot of options for tires. It has to be 10.5 for rules. I need a 31" tall tire.
Doug

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I know Tim. Cars are close but rear suspensions are totally different. Stiff side wall with tubes cause it crushes the tire even off the footbrake. So Maybe I was hitting it to hard this weekend. I didn't run after the jets ran. Worst time was 2:00-500 in the afternoon. I was at Trails a few weeks ago for the Buckeye Stock-S/S event. Ran 1.27-1.30 60 ft. Not a lot of options for tires. It has to be 10.5 for rules. I need a 31" tall tire.
Doug
Maybe your next Buckey event walk over and ask Pat Kronenbitter to go up and watch your car leave.He has quite an eye and the knowledge of shocks, pinion angles, and instant centers to point you in the right direction. Tell him Wanger sent ya ..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Carrying the wheels 5" for 15' and spinning I can't see what more could be done to the chassis, because all the weight is transferred. Take power away, hang weight on right in front of the rear tires, but all that stuff slows the car and that's no bueno for sstock. Several heavy cars around here 80 runs or so and the tires are done.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe your next Buckey event walk over and ask Pat Kronenbitter to go up and watch your car leave.He has quite an eye and the knowledge of shocks, pinion angles, and instant centers to point you in the right direction. Tell him Wanger sent ya ..
That would be great. I'll get in touch with him.
Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts