Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, I’ve remade these lines once recently and replaced the bulkhead fitting and washers in the fuel cell. I took my time making clean straight cuts on the new lines and getting them pretty tight when assembling them together. The line from the cell to the filter leaks on both ends but the 90 degree fitting is the one that leaks bad enough to where fuel drops to the ground. The line from the filter to the pump only leaks at the 90 but not as bad as the other 90.
The only theory I can come up with is that the shorter line I have has very little to possibly no slack in it and that causes the fittings to pull a part from each other internally (PTFE LINE AND 3 PIECE FITTING) and that causes the leak but if that was the case, the 90degree fitting coming out of the filter shouldn’t leak because that line I remade with some more slack in it. There’s the possibility of these 90 degree fittings are going to leak no matter what also...

only ideas I have are to try aluminum line or make more lines with different brand hose and fittings. Anyone have any other ideas or something I could be missing?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Take the leaking fitting of and see if you have a sharp line either on the fitting or the hose end. If the 37 deg taper is off, it will leave a visable mark. I had 4 leaking fittings when I just redid my fuel system. I ended up using some conical seals on a few of them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Summit. Have used it on basically the entire car. None of the others leak. Even have a 90 -6 at the carb with no leaks

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Betting it's the taper, unless you can actually see it leaking where the hose meets the fitting. Been hearing of alot of leaks from several brands lately, it's aggravating considering how expensive things are.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Betting it's the taper, unless you can actually see it leaking where the hose meets the fitting. Been hearing of alot of leaks from several brands lately, it's aggravating considering how expensive things are.
I looked around the tapers on all the fittings and everything looks good to me. There are two fittings that have some tiny spots on the inside of the tapered hole but I ran my finger across them and they felt smooth as glass. I doubt that that would cause a leak just because of where it's at and not on the outside where the sealing happens.

It'll start to leak where the fittings meet together and then after several days, it'll make its way along the entire hose end fitting where it looks like it's leaking where the fitting and hose meet together. I'm just tired of wasting fuel by it leaking and then the little bit it leaks out when I go to drain the cell.

I've been pretty diligent on using the same brand of fittings throughout the car mostly, so I can rule that out. It's all Summit right there in those pics, even the fuel filter, because I didn't want to run into any leaks. The conical seal might be the next/last thing to try before I make some aluminum lines.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I had never even heard of the conical seals until recently, would prefer not to use them but they took care of my leaks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had never even heard of the conical seals until recently, would prefer not to use them but they took care of my leaks.
Check this out, just found this. More expensive than conical seats but pretty neat. They make sizes from 3/16-1"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why should you have to buy a tool to make the fittings that are new, seal up?. Sounds like a poor quality control issue to me at the assembly factory. I have seen leaks at the rear of the fitting where the hose enters from improper hose assembly, and from leaving tape around the hose end and preventing it from properly sealing inside the fitting. Definitely not something you should have to deal with, leaks are annoying.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why should you have to buy a tool to make the fittings that are new, seal up?. Sounds like a poor quality control issue to me at the assembly factory. I have seen leaks at the rear of the fitting where the hose enters from improper hose assembly, and from leaving tape around the hose end and preventing it from properly sealing inside the fitting. Definitely not something you should have to deal with, leaks are annoying.
I agree, but nothings perfect in life, AN fittings are at the top of that list lol. Not to sound arrogant, but I'd say I'm pretty good at making hoses. None of the others have leaked this bad to where I couldn't get fixed. They've all been because I was worried about overtightening and ended up going back over them and snugging them up and that fixed them. On this PTFE hoses, your supposed to have 1/16" or less of a gap between the fitting and the nut or socket when you assemble them. On these new ones I made, I went and tightened them up to nearly flush and they leak just like the others that had a bit of a gap between them. It could be the fuel filter that's the problem the more I think about it... I ordered some conical seats this afternoon, so I'm going to give that a try and see if that fixes these. I don't know what else to do. I've been fighting a leak around the fuel cell since I poured fuel in it for the first time...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
What are these conical seat? I have made a ton of hoses up with Aeroquip hose ends and Aeroquip hose in the last 20 years and never had one leak. I also use the Koul Tool plastic taper shaped tools to make it easier to start the hose into the fitting, but they are not necessary to get a hose made. Saves a few stuck fingers from braided wire though.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
What are these conical seat? I have made a ton of hoses up with Aeroquip hose ends and Aeroquip hose in the last 20 years and never had one leak. I also use the Koul Tool plastic taper shaped tools to make it easier to start the hose into the fitting, but they are not necessary to get a hose made. Saves a few stuck fingers from braided wire though.
Keep using Aeroquip and you probably never need them, they are basically just a thin gasket that will make up for a shitty taper.

·
Registered
16,298 Posts
100% fragola ptfe in my car. Probably 45 different fittings. None of them have leaked since day 1. At this point, considering the small area of concern, replace all of the fittings and line with a name brand fitting. I would also move your filter forward (?) so that the line out of the cell is now a straight run, with no kick in it. Just my $0.02

Reactions: 1Azgerman

·
Registered
16,298 Posts
They look like my Champion cap 5's.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have Fragola for my trans lines. They don't leak, even though I thought they did at first but I still don't like how they went together, not easy at all. One fitting even was so junked up, I had to use a Summit on the Fragola line. I've tried JEGS and it was the worst out of them all, returned that junk the next day. I do have Aeroquip laying around, just haven't tried it out yet. I actually got off of work early today, came home and UPS had already delivered the conical seals I ordered Thursday. I took the lines back off right quick and put the seals on right quick, loaded the car up and went racing this afternoon/evening. I got to the track and the fittings were dry, I crank it up and warm it up around the pits, still dry and made 2 passes and they still looked dry. Got rained out as I was sitting in the water box for round 1 eliminations but I'd say that might have been the key to fixing this aggravating leak. I'll check it out again over the course of the next few days to confirm but either way thanks Boosted Bullet!

As far as the wheels, they are champion cap 5. I love them. Great quality, half the price of weld and look great. When I saw those wheels that looked like Magnums but for such a better price and made in the USA, it was a no brainer. Just really hate that they went out of business. Really great service and they delivered on quality and estimated delivery times on both occasions I ordered my wheels from them. I'm actually in the process of getting some gold anodized Weld Magnum front runner wheels for mine hopefully within a month or two. I think gold front wheels will look great with those gold beadlocks on a black car. I'll still keep the current champions, might even swap them back and forth on occasion.

If you like those wheels, keep an eye out on them on marketplace. I occasionally see them, usually 10 or 12in wheels.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still leaks, just not as bad... :mad: Might need to replace some things here, I don't know. Might try resurfacing the fittings before I try spending the money on replacing it all. Anyway, it was worth a try and somewhat helped

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
In had some braided hose on my trans cooler that was leaking. Thought it was fittings but ended up hose was bad and fluid was running down line to the fittings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts