Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I burnt a piston last month and when i disassembelled the motor I found what looks like a portion of one of the lobes are detereiating or something has anyone seen this and there was not alot of material in the engine other than what would be expected from a burnt piston. Also need help with specs it has CR 274 on the end of camshaft all replies appreciated.

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
if its a comp cam...i have had a few cams from comp do the same thing...a few were some customers cars....!!!! comps response to that was that "they had a bad batch of steel for a while..".and just said that i could "BUY a new cam from them..".....phuck em!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let's try this again here's mine. Just a little HR COMP ground cam spec'd by Ed Curtis. No signs of wear on the lifter either. Guess its time to try something else

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Both of these pics show these cams are cast iron roller cams.You can tell by the black color between the lobes.Billet roller cams are the way to go if you are running a solid roller.Cast iron cams get a surface hardning,but thats it.They are still cast iron.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both of these pics show these cams are cast iron roller cams.You can tell by the black color between the lobes.Billet roller cams are the way to go if you are running a solid roller.Cast iron cams get a surface hardning,but thats it.They are still cast iron.
It is a billet roller

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
26,048 Posts
Typed in doug herbert cr274 in google an the second ad that cam up was a racingjunk ad for a Mustang with a sbc in it an listed that for cam specs

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Its from uncontrolled valve train it wont matter who makes it. its lofting the lifter over the nose and thats where its landing, the camshaft is not the root cause its the spring or floating the valve. Comp sells 75% of the cams out there you may find some issues or you might just be looking for someone to blame but you have valve train issues not just plug a new cam in and go. Just how many people do you think make cores and grind cams???

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its from uncontrolled valve train it wont matter who makes it. its lofting the lifter over the nose and thats where its landing, the camshaft is not the root cause its the spring or floating the valve. Comp sells 75% of the cams out there you may find some issues or you might just be looking for someone to blame but you have valve train issues not just plug a new cam in and go. Just how many people do you think make cores and grind cams???
If you are asking if I am looking for someone to blame no looking for awnsers and yours seem feasable but when I had the head surfaced and valve job done last week all springs have been tested and they are fine any other Ideas on what to look for I bought the motor a while back it has served me well.Just dont want to have the same thing happen.It could have been that way since O purchased it. thanks

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
If you are asking if I am looking for someone to blame no looking for awnsers and yours seem feasable but when I had the head surfaced and valve job done last week all springs have been tested and they are fine any other Ideas on what to look for I bought the motor a while back it has served me well.Just dont want to have the same thing happen.It could have been that way since O purchased it. thanks

Nope I was not hammering you just get tired of hearing the Comp this and that crap from the other guys.

OK first there is no "springs where fine",,,, the springs might not have lost pressure, but was it the right pressure for the profile to start with? This might change with the weight valves and retainers and cam profile, the only way to really know for sure is to "Spin Tron" test it. Now most everyone does not do that, me included, but how close to coil bind, installed height, yadda,,yadda,,yadda. It might be worth getting a second opinion or ask your guy how close to coil bind it was look at his face, if its blank go to some one else its not about how much distance you have between coils "like it had plenty of room" its about getting it close enought also there is a ton that goes into setting up heads. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope I was not hammering you just get tired of hearing the Comp this and that crap from the other guys.

OK first there is no "springs where fine",,,, the springs might not have lost pressure, but was it the right pressure for the profile to start with? This might change with the weight valves and retainers and cam profile, the only way to really know for sure is to "Spin Tron" test it. Now most everyone does not do that, me included, but how close to coil bind, installed height, yadda,,yadda,,yadda. It might be worth getting a second opinion or ask your guy how close to coil bind it was look at his face, if its blank go to some one else its not about how much distance you have between coils "like it had plenty of room" its about getting it close enought also there is a ton that goes into setting up heads. Hope this helps.
Hell yes it helped I dont wanna go back in this bitch again for awhile my damn wallet cant take it. I will have a talk with machinist on monday thanks

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
sorry if they treated me bad and sold me a bad product and didnt make it good.......i ordered everything from them at their specs..including springs and lifters...... your recommendations are spot on! def needs to check the entire setup. i have now switched to cam motion ( which grind their own cams) and havent had any trouble.... i pulled my old cam ( not sure why i haven't tossed it...) and the scarring does look different when compared to his...mine was on the nose of the lobe...when compared...one or two lobes just look smaller than the rest and look like you poured solder all over em.... just my experience....i dont like it as much as you dont man....

·
Registered
763 Posts

How could the "wrong or incorrect parts" cause the damage pictured? Going by what he said, lifter looks fine etc?
If it was bouncing, or in coil bind, valve float, it would show up on other lobes, and the lifter would likely show signs of wear as other lobes an lifters also.
That type of damage just isnt possible IMO from what was suggested. In not one localized spot anyways.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
How could the "wrong or incorrect parts" cause the damage pictured? Going by what he said, lifter looks fine etc?
If it was bouncing, or in coil bind, valve float, it would show up on other lobes, and the lifter would likely show signs of wear as other lobes an lifters also.
That type of damage just isnt possible IMO from what was suggested. In not one localized spot anyways.
I wonder if it could have been like that when I bought the motor looks like it was hit with something

1 - 20 of 24 Posts