Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a opportunity to buy a used stock case glide. Guy claims it was built by tci for his setup. 68 Camaro, 427 truck motor bbc bored to 510ci. Big tire ladder bar car. Claimed car has gone some 5.80s. He says it was sent off to tci about 3 yrs ago to be freshened up. It has been sitting in his storage building since then. It has a 5500 stall, turbo input shaft, and stock 1.76 gear. Also has a transbrake.

I'm wanting to put it in a 98 Camaro behind the stock ls1. Maybe put some nitrous on it. Just something to play with. Not a dd car.

I can get the trans for $500. guy is down on cash and selling everything.

Will the trans need rebuilding before I use it? Is it worth the money? Will it still stall at 5500 behind the little ls1 smallblock? I was thinking maybe swap it over to some jd hygard to get the stall speed down. Just looking for some opinions.

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
I'd go into it thinking it was a bone stock glide. Everytime I've bought a "built" 400, it was bone stock. Lol. I only paid $100 though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm keeping that in mind. Guy is local to me. I've asked around about him. Everybody I've talked to said he is a pretty honest guy.

2,155 Posts
Seems odd to me that someone would ship a transmission of to TCI then pay for a refresh and shipping back. Then just let it sit for 3 years. I don't by that story.

It may very well have good stuff in it but who knows. Like Camronvic said go into the deal as if you are buying one that needs to be checked out.

The converter probably wont be what you want so figure on buying a different one or getting that on re-stalled.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Story is that a few years back the guy had a good job and was rolling pretty good. He lost that job about a year ago and has held on to his racing stuff for as long as possible. Now he is starting to sell off to make ends meet. bad situation for him but possibly decent for me.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
See if he'll let you tear it down to inspect. I would if I was asked. That will tell you everything you need to know, including what to pay for it....

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
hell...if it has a trans brake, turbo input shaft,and a converter...you can't loose at $500.00

1 - 10 of 10 Posts