Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having serious issues with push rod geometry and intake rocker arm clearance to valve cover with a A/R A441 Hemi Ford head mated to a A460 block. I'm using WW eng. shaft rockers with zero offset, which means the studs have been relocated on the rocker pads. The rockers are perfectly centered on the valve tips but the push rod to seat cup on the intake rocker is completely out of wack. Turning the engine over with test springs nothing binds and lash stays set. The intake rocker arm location to the rail makes installing covers almost impossible. I have 2 sets of sheet metal covers neither will fit. These heads are Wayne Torkelson's (rip) old set(s) I purchased years ago. I believe he had them on a 11.200 deck, my A460 deck is 10.295
I've spent a ton of time and money on this project any help from you Boss Hemi guys would sure be appreciated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The last Boss engine I did, I used lifters with offset pushrod seats to solve that issue. My heads where not 441s, but it solved the problem. Call Rich Wilhelm at 815- 712- 8738.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Valve cover rail has to be clearance around rockers and block has to be clearance for exhaust pushrod

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I clearanced the block and .165 wall tapered 7/16" Trend push rods do clear. It just that the intake push rod to rocker looks very goofy. Like I said there is no binding and and lash stays the same.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I clearanced the block and .165 wall tapered 7/16" Trend push rods do clear. It just that the intake push rod to rocker looks very goofy. Like I said there is no binding and and lash stays the same.
That is one aspect of the Boss engine that has always been dubious. Some builders have used oversized pushrod receivers on the rocker arms which gives a little more satisfaction.

This has been discussed a lot about the intake rocker, the long exhaust rocker has never given me trouble.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not much help in area other than there are offset a460 lifter on Facebook for $100. May be worth a shot to see if it improves any. Cheap way to try

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Yes the little 555 inch 1270Hp engine was. His second engine was A441 Hemi heads that was later sold to a All Motor guy that ran Milan. The A441 was over 1500Hp.
1270? If his weight vs et vs mph were all correct it was @1400.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
1270? If his weight vs et vs mph were all correct it was @1400.
That's the # Wayde gave me when I was looking at doing something with 555. We were in his garage looking over the new A441 headed motor in the car and he still had the 555 sitting at the time. The Milan AM guys were busting his balls over shit like ballast and even after going through tech and qualifying #1 but a HUGE margin, they still booted him for it. Hell even Keith (Skinny Kid race cars) offered to WELD in the ballast so it would no long be TOO MUCH ballast.

After Wayde crashed the coupe with the 555 on the saturday at final TMP race during qualifying, Butch Kemp called me at the track to say he was on his way to help get him back together for the race Sunday. Same with Mike K and a few others. Wayde was back and won on Sunday to win his Championship.

Reason for me saying this is, if your saying the weight vs ET or MPH says more! Well Butch told me there REALLY soft down low and there is a to be gained in the 60? Butch seen the data. knows how to get down the track, and is a friend. I trust what he says. We were close to putting Wayde's 555 in my '66 Nova to get the weight break (another -75lbs) and run it with my Liberty. And with Butch and Mike K calling the shots on set-ups and chassis, figured we could get maybe another 2 tenths off his time?

So the #'s I throw out about wayde's deal come directly from him. His BES 555 A-headed for was 1270Hp. Matt Glassfords 577 BBc with head-hunters was 1230Hp. Now Wayde's A441 Hemi-headed head? All he told me was WELL over 1500Hp. Reason we talked about that Hemi deal was to see how it compared to what John Carinci's A99 PS Hemi stuff was. That is where my Liberty came from, John's car, as I was thinking on getting on of John's Hemi for my junk too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts