Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as silly as it seems Im stumped. Ive had that shifter out and re-adjusted so many times but it still wont shift proper. I can ratchet through all the gears without the cable attached, then attach the cable and go from low to park and it seems fine but start car and its all off one gear. Now I did pull shifter all the way back as in first, shift trans to first and insert cable. Go to park and do the same thing and hole is way off. I get it all adjusted sothere is a happy medium and thats what i get. I have the correct gm bracket, using the correct hole and both holes for that matter do not make any difference. what gives? Thanks for the help before I buy a new shifter(or another good working used one)

·
Super Moderator
19,474 Posts
If you start in low gear and set it up for 1-2-3and N will it work in those ranges? Don't forget to go from reverse to park you have to ratchet it twice. They are not usually this much of a pain.

Hutch

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is the cable tight? as in not free. Has been mentioned on here before about i think it was a new style skinny cable having issues from new.. A friend had a lot of drama with a new B+M cable and proratchet turned out was the cable

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly dont know whats going on. I get the shifter adjusted for the low 1,2,3,n i can pull the cable in and out of the hole on each gear as in no binding on the trans shift bracket but from n to reverse the shifter seems to get stuck, I have to push a little once I lift the lockout lever then it will go into reverse and park...by the shifter. If the car is running and go through the gears I can only pull back to 2nd. Whats funny, the pin at the rear of the shifter which controls a 3 or 4sp trans, If i choose the upper hole I get the 3 gears but the lower hole only gives me 2 gears. Did the older shifters work with 2 or 3 spd's instead of 3-4?

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Never have liked those shifters. There a pain in the ass even when they work rite! So many other shifters out there that are a lot more user friendly.JMO!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hiya! Please name a few, im open to opinions. Ive never used any others, well besides a z gate which I cant stand either. .

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Is this a race car?(no center console). You can look through summit and get an idea of the different type shifters. I've always liked the hurst quarter sticks. B&M has one that's similar that is real user friendly, Turbo action's Chetta is a nice one. (that's the one I use!) Have used them all at one time or another. Couldn't give me one of those pro ratchet shifters!LOL!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, much to my embaressment, I think I might have figured out my problem. I noticed there is a special pin that controls park for ford and chryslers. That pin is still installed and I have a gm. DUH! I will go home and try to re-adjust everything and see what happens. I thought everyone ran gm??LOL

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Results...now I have all the ratchet positions like I should but still have an issue with gears seeming to share one another or still being off some. What I now found was the shift lever on the selector shaft was sloppy. I welded up the rectangle hole on the lever and file fitted it to the selector shaft so there was no play or slop. Now I have all my gears like I should. Must be the selector shaft is worn some causing the slop. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Wow. The Pro Ratchet that came in my car has always worked great. One time I called B&M to see about getting a microswitch for a neutral safety switch, and they sent me one free of charge. Is it an old, worn-out shifter, or did they start making them in China or something?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure of the age but I bought it here from a member on this site. I'll finish the season as it works for now but Im going to buy another one just for peace of mind.

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
I've had my pro ratchet shifter for close to 16 years...only problem I ever had was when I did a wheelstand and it smashed the cable on landing...finally saw it was the cable...after I bought another shifter from a member on here...installed the new cable...perfect! Good luck with yours

1 - 16 of 16 Posts