Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 97 LT1 Turbo Trans AM. Car has some weight reductions so I am expecting it to weigh at least 3300lbs race ready. Car is full suspension, MWC ARB, Viking Coilovers, BMR Tunnel mount TA, K member, LCA w/brackets, upper lower A arms, 3 point sfc. Car also has Moser 12 bolt with 3.42 gears, Th400 w/brake and 2.48 1st gear, I leave at about 4000 rpm. Tire is currently 27*10.5 will be changing to a 275/60/15 Pro Radial in a few months.

I know the surface has a lot to do with it. Concrete over Asphalt. Anyone got any experience on making this work? Or how is your suspension setup to work on the street? Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would first start by reading the sticky thread on fbody stock suspension. Then get some more information to figure out whats going on. How much boost are you trying to leave on? shock settings? suspension plotted? tire pressure? viking coilovers on front and rear?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Definitely going to want a bias ply tire IMO. Not going to put it down on the street on a radial with anything that makes steam, least on any road prep I've played on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would first start by reading the sticky thread on fbody stock suspension. Then get some more information to figure out whats going on. How much boost are you trying to leave on? shock settings? suspension plotted? tire pressure? viking coilovers on front and rear?
Trying to leave at between 5-8lbs. Im using MWC recommended settings for the track Front 10c6r Rear 3c10r, ,suspension is plotted just adding a MWC ARB to the mix, will try to be around 15-17psi on tire pressure. Vikings coilovers on all 4 corners. I have read tons of stickys on multiple forums. The track I understand for the most part, but the street can be tricky. Just trying to get an idea from people who run on the street....

·
Registered
315 Posts
First thing is to get more sidewall for a bigger contact patch. Radials can work on the street but I've never seen 275's hook on a 4th gen that was quicker than 11's. 29-29.5 if you can trim the bumper enough to make them fit is where I'd start.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Number 1, radials will never be consistent on the street. You need a slick. Number 2 you need power management, you cant hit it with all its got off the brake like your at the track. I use a leash controller. This photo is small jets off the foot brake. 28x10.5 slick. ramping power in. it will do this on black top, concrete where ever.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks for the help. So a good slick will work wonders. I can verify that the radial works on cars that are sub 11s. So that makes perfect sense. I just went to the dyno and put down 563whp while blowing through the converter bad on 8lbs. So once I get a new converter, to the streets i go for testing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Number 1, radials will never be consistent on the street. You need a slick. Number 2 you need power management, you cant hit it with all its got off the brake like your at the track. I use a leash controller. This photo is small jets off the foot brake. 28x10.5 slick. ramping power in. it will do this on black top, concrete where ever.
What this on a prepped surface? Nice to see a fbody launch on the street like that!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This particular picture the road has some rubber down. I did a burnout in a puddle of VHT then backed up in my tracks and launched.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wow, thanks for the help. So a good slick will work wonders. I can verify that the radial works on cars that are sub 11s. So that makes perfect sense. I just went to the dyno and put down 563whp while blowing through the converter bad on 8lbs. So once I get a new converter, to the streets i go for testing!
A 275 on tarmac which is what we race on here will not work. Smooth blacktop, or concrete maybe. I had a 4th gen that made 391 whp on motor, and 500 on 100 shot. I can tell you I tuned the suspension on that car perfect for the street and even with a tight converter I had to bring the nitrous in after I launched on a prepped surface. Car was heavy but that's on a 275 pro, 9" with 4.10's, spool, full BMR front suspension with k member and QA1 coil overs, rear was double adjustable lowers and panhard from founders with rod ends and a MWC short arm with adjustable shocks. Tried several pinion angles, bar angles etc. You may have better pavement then I do to run on, but that's my personal expierience with 275's on tarmac. FYI I doubt that car would break into the 10's on the best day at sea level.
This is prepped tarmac, with several passes on it. The 4th gen was on 275 Mickey Pros. Everyone else was on 28x10.5 slicks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts