Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Uses A Point and Shoot
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing a 400 inch dart iron block, 4.125 x 3.75. All forged/balanced bottom end. Final compression on a 64cc bowl will be 10.7:1. I plan to run solid roller.

I want to run about 8000rpm. Will this be feasible and reliable?

200cc intake on a Pro1 looks to flow better then a 215 up to about 7000rpm, where the 215cc would take over. Thoughts?

now throw 100-150 shot plate into the mix, what is this going to effect? i know im going to need a cam with more separation and exhaust duration, but how about effects outside that?

What carbs do you recommend with this combo ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Better get much bigger to hit 8000, 227 to 230 with Ti valves, offset shaft rockers, GOOD springs and retainers. All-Pro's or 18˚ would be a better place to start.

·
Uses A Point and Shoot
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well going off what I have listed above, is 8000rpm realistic or should i go lower? id like to keep it above 7k at very least. and at 7000-7500 would 200cc be ok?

·
Registered
322 Posts
key questions left out would be what kind of power are you looking at and what times are you expecting to run with this combo.not to mention chassis type ,weight etc.
my key question is why do you want to rev so high?
i know small blocks are cpapble if built right butseen plenty of fast cars rev just over 7k and still run nice numbers its all in the gearing and chassis.
and if you plan to rev that hig like mentioned above you need one helluva valvetrain to avoid valve damage and or valve float.

·
Uses A Point and Shoot
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
car will be used for road racing more then drag racing, hence the want for higher rpm.

its an IRS car, 2700 lbs with a 4.08 rear gear. trans is up in the air but it will be a 5 speed.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
200 to 215 cc heads will run out about 6500 to 7000 maybe a little more on a 400 unless the PR area has been opened up. That means offset shaft rockers. It will rev higher, just won't make power. Nitrous will raise it a little, but you need to have better valvetrain components. Ti valves, big pushrods, quality valvesprings... If you get to that level 15˚ or 18˚ heads are a better choice unless you are limited to 23˚.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Your the first road race guy I have met that want to run a narrow power band car, you will want a smaller port than 8000 rpm peak power, aim for 72-7300 peak and let it run over to 7800 or so, but a 8000 rpm peak is not going to run out of a turn for squat. A 18 * motor is a smarter motor by far for the TQ they make.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You should have a good engine builder choose and set up your top end combo. Carb, intake, heads, springs, pushrods, gaskets, studs, porting. It would probably be a proven combo, not a shot in the dark. I bet it would be worthwhile.

My 396sbc with a dart 230cc head and 254/260. .620 lift cam likes 7000rpm.....not even close to 8000. Peak HP is probably in the 6400 area. 11.5:1 comp.

Goodluck! Oh! and don't hit the spray until you're just past the apex...:) Hell..just go with a progressive and dial it in for a smooth charge down the straight!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts