Yellow Bullet Forums banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Long Live The King
96,471 Posts
I've told them to grasp the slide and hold while pushing the frame with their other hand.

My best results in teaching a newbie female.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Really,,,, you should start with a cheap gun to learn to shoot. Then as your skill improve with that firearm, then look at a better weapon.
never understood this theory. Rent guns at the range, shoot some of your friends guns, buy what you want.

though i partially agree, in the sense that people are less likely to use or practice with something they are not comfortable with. If you buy the cheapest gun you can buy, and it shoots like dog shit, you won't be inclined to practice with it or buy another. if you pay $800 and it is difficult to shoot, doesn't fit in the hands right, or otherwise, same outcome.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
never understood this theory. Rent guns at the range, shoot some of your friends guns, buy what you want.

though i partially agree, in the sense that people are less likely to use or practice with something they are not comfortable with. If you buy the cheapest gun you can buy, and it shoots like dog shit, you won't be inclined to practice with it or buy another. if you pay $800 and it is difficult to shoot, doesn't fit in the hands right, or otherwise, same outcome.
That's my theory also. I bought a Glock 17 as a first gun and hated it and couldn't hit anything with it. Lucky for me my brother-in-law took me back out with a Hi-power and it was very nice to shoot.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Wife had only ever shot one pistol in her life. Once she was interested in getting her permit she tried all kinds of different pistols and loved the G19.
As for striker fired vs DA/SA, for a beginning shooter I think a striker fired gun is easier overall. Trigger pull is the same from first to last shot with less gun manipulations to worry with. More to using a DA/SA gun, from the 2 different trigger pulls to decocking the gun after strings of fire. The learning curve is a bit steeper.
Agreed. Whatever the weapon chosen one must train like a life depended on it.

·
Long Live The King
96,471 Posts
Really,,,, you should start with a cheap gun to learn to shoot. .
I would disagree with this 100%. Learn to shoot on the best stuff possible.

The gun certainly should not be "cheap" but nor does it need to be "the best". It needs to be comfortable to the shooter and it needs to perform adequately.

It's my understanding that the quality of their guns has gotten much better over the past 5 years or so - Rock Island Armory (Armscor) , but 10 years ago I sure the hell wouldn't have told someone to purchase one of their 1911's to learn to shoot.

I was shooting at the Sheriff's training range with some people some years back and two of the SWAT officers were talking and I heard one of them say that he was going to get his wife to buy him a RIA 1911 45 for his Bday because he really wanted a 1911. He had shot the RIA at a local gun store range.

A bit later I told him that I had heard his conversation and if he'd like to shoot my Sig Tac 1911 he could. I handed him the gun and two mags.

He got done and said " Well thanks, you just cost my wife and me a bunch more money. There's no way in hell I'd buy a RIA after shooting your Sig"

And he's right. The old RIA 1911's were junk compared to a Sig. the gun's were loose, the trigger sucked and the sights sucked. The trigger on the Sig is one of the best out of the box triggers you'll find for a factory gun.

There's not any reason to shot a cheap gun. And there's certainly no reason to learn with one. Bad idea.

BTW, for the Glock owners, one thing I found out with shooting with the SWAT guys over a number of years, all of them had replaced the stock 8 lbs trigger with a 4-5 lbs trigger. I shot their guns 9mm, .40 cal and .45's with the replacement triggers and the guns were way better than stock. I still didn't much care for any of them when compared to my 1911's.

As a matter of fact I turned a couple of them on to .38 Super 1911. I did buy a "cheap" RIA 1911 38 super (the only legal one I could get in California) and gave it to a gunsmith friend. $350 later with a trigger job, adjustable sights and bushing that gun is just awesome, and is one of my 2 favorite hand guns.

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,630 Posts
The gun certainly should not be "cheap" but nor does it need to be "the best". It needs to be comfortable to the shooter and it needs to perform adequately.

It's my understanding that the quality of their guns has gotten much better over the past 5 years or so - Rock Island Armory (Armscor) , but 10 years ago I sure the hell wouldn't have told someone to purchase one of their 1911's to learn to shoot.

I was shooting at the Sheriff's training range with some people some years back and two of the SWAT officers were talking and I heard one of them say that he was going to get his wife to buy him a RIA 1911 45 for his Bday because he really wanted a 1911. He had shot the RIA at a local gun store range.

A bit later I told him that I had heard his conversation and if he'd like to shoot my Sig Tac 1911 he could. I handed him the gun and two mags.

He got done and said " Well thanks, you just cost my wife and me a bunch more money. There's no way in hell I'd buy a RIA after shooting your Sig"

And he's right. The old RIA 1911's were junk compared to a Sig. the gun's were loose, the trigger sucked and the sights sucked. The trigger on the Sig is one of the best out of the box triggers you'll find for a factory gun.

There's not any reason to shot a cheap gun. And there's certainly no reason to learn with one. Bad idea.

BTW, for the Glock owners, one thing I found out with shooting with the SWAT guys over a number of years, all of them had replaced the stock 8 lbs trigger with a 4-5 lbs trigger. I shot their guns 9mm, .40 cal and .45's with the replacement triggers and the guns were way better than stock. I still didn't much care for any of them when compared to my 1911's.

As a matter of fact I turned a couple of them on to .38 Super 1911. I did buy a "cheap" RIA 1911 38 super (the only legal one I could get in California) and gave it to a gunsmith friend. $350 later with a trigger job, adjustable sights and bushing that gun is just awesome, and is one of my 2 favorite hand guns.
I put a cylinder and slide trigger in mine, adjustable trigger shoe, and it shoots great. It's still got the "reliable rattle" as the old timers say. I'm really happy with it.

·
Long Live The King
96,471 Posts
If the OP is lucky enough to find one of these in the Used gun case ... shoot it and if you like it buy it: Star Firestar.. 9mm Compact that's built like a single action 1911.
They are great little guns. The stainless steel chassis is heavy and absorbs the recoil, it shoots single action, so you can cock, un-cock the trigger in a simple fashion. The first semi-auto I ever owned 30 yrs ago.

·
Long Live The King
96,471 Posts
FYI:
Star Firestar size vs full body 1911:

I can shoot it more accurately than any Glock I've shot. It just fits my hand well, and the weight absorbs recoil nicely.

If you ever see one for sale take a good look at it.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Visited my local store today and put my name on a hellcat. There is a decently long line in front of me.
The gun store down the street from me said they were having trouble selling hellcats. Everybody wants the Sig P365, especially the SAS version. Then again, they have a huge inventory and they're a Sig Elite dealer.

·
Registered
53,978 Posts
The gun store down the street from me said they were having trouble selling hellcats. Everybody wants the Sig P365, especially the SAS version. Then again, they have a huge inventory and they're a Sig Elite dealer.
I dont know about having trouble, they are not even being shipped to many dealers yet.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
FYI:
Star Firestar size vs full body 1911:

I can shoot it more accurately than any Glock I've shot. It just fits my hand well, and the weight absorbs recoil nicely.

If you ever see one for sale take a good look at it.
I've got a Firestar 45. Bought it in '91 and always liked it. I've been looking for a nine to go with it, but there aren't many out there.

They're a little heavy for a carry gun, but mine shoots great. The only problem was with the firing pins. If one breaks, you're done.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I dont know about having trouble, they are not even being shipped to many dealers yet.
Really? Well, my LGS has had them in stock since day one. However, my LGS seems very well connected and they have a huge inventory. I guess I'm a bit spoiled. :p :)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Who is it? I will buy it from them.
Do you live in the Chicagoland area? If not, they don't sell over the Internet. Where as they are the largest gun store in the area, maybe in Illinois, they are also the most conservative. They have the only gun range in the area that doesn't allow rifles larger than .22. It's kinda weird because they have a massive rifle selection.

There are 3 things I like about this gun store.
1) They're close.
2) They're usually very competitive on price.
3) They give you written paperwork with a purchase at no additional charge. Living in Illinois, I like that. It's better than a cash register receipt with no information on it.

Since you asked, their name is Mega Sports.
https://www.megasportsfirearms.com

·
Registered
53,978 Posts
Do you live in the Chicagoland area? If not, they don't sell over the Internet. Where as they are the largest gun store in the area, maybe in Illinois, they are also the most conservative. They have the only gun range in the area that doesn't allow rifles larger than .22. It's kinda weird because they have a massive rifle selection.

There are 3 things I like about this gun store.
1) They're close.
2) They're usually very competitive on price.
3) They give you written paperwork with a purchase at no additional charge. Living in Illinois, I like that. It's better than a cash register receipt with no information on it.

Since you asked, their name is Mega Sports.
https://www.megasportsfirearms.com
Thanks. I will check them out.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts