Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
the caniks have been nothing but gold for me. at the price point the trigger can't be beat. however any kind of limp wrist or poor grip and it cycles like dog shit with stovepipes one after the next. I have had ZERO stovepipes firing it. The wife on the other hand... every mag has 2 or 3 of them.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I have a TP9 DA that I picked up in January for $350.00. I put a set of night sights on it and I put a spring kit in it to lower the DA trigger weight. I've only put a bit more than 200 rounds thru it so far, with zero malfunctions. I shot it last weekend, and much to my surprise, it might be the best shooting gun I own right now. The range officer even stopped and ask about it.

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
6,033 Posts
Sercurity 9 or Ruger American? If you had to choose. If I needed another subcompact Tupperware nine, I have considered the American. I shot the full size really well. Liked it a lot.

Academy had them for 349.99 for Black Friday a couple years back and I was really tempted but I ended up getting a k-member for the Camaro (which funnily enough I ended up selling).

Then ruger dropped the Security. Always thought the SR series was underrated, and isn’t the Security basically a DAO hammer fired SR?

Also, does it have the mag safety?
I think the Security has more in common with the LCP2.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I carry a Springfield XD-9 subcompact. Awesome carry piece.
The wife carries a Springfield XDs-9. Nice but a little to small for my hands.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
the caniks have been nothing but gold for me. at the price point the trigger can't be beat. however any kind of limp wrist or poor grip and it cycles like dog shit with stovepipes one after the next. I have had ZERO stovepipes firing it. The wife on the other hand... every mag has 2 or 3 of them.
This is where the rentals come in for the ladies. Unless you purchase a gun that you would like should she not be able to shoot it.

We have an XD-9 that works flawless for me. My wife, daughter and even younger sister, acts as above. They do not shoot it for target practice for too many malfunctions.

Have a M&P 9. much better but, ejects shells up and straight back. Into fore head and, down the blouse at least once. (I told her to wear a T shirt when we go shooting). Put an Apex ejector in that and much better. Gals will shoot that one.

Wife has P938 for carry. Never a problem at the range. Although she doesn't have very strong wrists / arms, she shoots it well and likes it. Very important for a carry gun.

Daughter does not carry but, has the Springfield 1911 - 9 for target and home protection. (a bit large and heavy for female carry) Flawless operation and low recoil. Hell, I like this one.

Anyway, and especially for gals, you can't just like the way it feels at the counter. If she finds one she thinks she'll like, see if there is a rental anywhere in the area where she can put a half dozen or so mags. thru it.

·
Mother Hen
50,110 Posts
Let her try some ultra lite or air weight 38s, too. I have moved to a light weight 38 and I'm really happy with it. I chose it over a 9mm.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Let her try some ultra lite or air weight 38s, too. I have moved to a light weight 38 and I'm really happy with it. I chose it over a 9mm.
I put some reduced recoil loads in my mom's Airweight. She didn't like the full power ones. They hurt her hand.

·
Long Live The King
100,912 Posts
This is where the rentals come in for the ladies. Unless you purchase a gun that you would like should she not be able to shoot it.

We have an XD-9 that works flawless for me. My wife, daughter and even younger sister, acts as above. They do not shoot it for target practice for too many malfunctions.

Have a M&P 9. much better but, ejects shells up and straight back. Into fore head and, down the blouse at least once. (I told her to wear a T shirt when we go shooting). Put an Apex ejector in that and much better. Gals will shoot that one.

Wife has P938 for carry. Never a problem at the range. Although she doesn't have very strong wrists / arms, she shoots it well and likes it. Very important for a carry gun.

Daughter does not carry but, has the Springfield 1911 - 9 for target and home protection. (a bit large and heavy for female carry) Flawless operation and low recoil. Hell, I like this one.

Anyway, and especially for gals, you can't just like the way it feels at the counter. If she finds one she thinks she'll like, see if there is a rental anywhere in the area where she can put a half dozen or so mags. thru it.
Did either your wife or daughter have an issue with "racking" the slide ?

I've been blown away by how many women have a hard time "racking" the slide on semi-autos. After a bit of coaching on simple technique they seem to get it.

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,632 Posts
Did either your wife or daughter have an issue with "racking" the slide ?

I've been blown away by how many women have a hard time "racking" the slide on semi-autos. After a bit of coaching on simple technique they seem to get it.
I taught them to keep it in close to their chest and work is a crossing fashion pushing with both arms. What about you?

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
6,033 Posts
I taught them to keep it in close to their chest and work is a crossing fashion pushing with both arms. What about you?
I've told them to grasp the slide and hold while pushing the frame with their other hand.

On a similar note, I've shot that shield EZ 380 with the easy to rack slide. Both my step mom and mom both of whom have weak hand strength were able to easily rack it. When I racked it the first time I damn near flung the slide into the next county. I think they use a ball point pen spring for a recoil spring in that pistol. :smt081

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Generally women have a hard time grasping the concept "you're not going to break it, just grip it and rip it"

usually I see them grasp it lightly, and pull it softly.. if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
32,145 Posts
Springfield XDE 9mm is the easiest racking thing I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Really,,,, you should start with a cheap gun to learn to shoot. Then as your skill improve with that firearm, then look at a better weapon. After all you don't start driving a $50.000 car, do you?. NO. Get a klunker 9MM first. Get the basics down, how to shoot, how to clean, how to be comfortable with a weapon in you hand at any time. Then step up to a higher quality unit. No need spending big $$$$ on something you might not like or you find out that 9MM is not for you.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts