Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 nova that I am having some traction problems with on the bottle. It hooks ok on motor (1.55 60's, [email protected]). The problem is on nitrous (any jet setting 100-250 cheater plate). My car specs are 400sb, 400 trans w/brake/ATI conv, 3.73, 275-60-15 MT drag radials, cal trac's, calvert springs 2in drop, rancho shocks (also have Hal lee 12 ways), front is morso springs, comp eng. 3 way shocks (old), 7531 box but its new and have not used much.

I have been told since the car hooks then spins ( HARD ) that the problem may be in the front suspension droping to fast and unloading the rear tires when they bottom out.

I have been looking at getting new front shocks and front control arms.

OK I am open to Ideas on what to do and who's control arms and shocks to get.....
also what psi should I start with on the rear tires at (3400lbs).
Thanks!!
Brian
[email protected]

·
Registered
986 Posts
Somthing that helped my 72 with about the same combo (cal tracks ranchos and stock springs) was about 70lbs of weight bolted to the trunk latch area. 1.36 60's on motor car actually went faster a majority of the time with the added weight. 3310lbs with the extra in the trunk

Craig

·
Class Wrecker!!!
2,351 Posts
Weight could help. Sounds like maybe something like rear shocks could be bottoming out or not enough travel. What hole are the bars in upper or lower.
Also how are you adjusting the bars as in terms of preload?
Air pressure 12.5-13.5.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tryed adding weight last year and did not see any improvement (20-150 lbs!!) I spoke with Hal Lee (shock guy) and he said same thing about adding weight in the trunk to dampen springs (to stiff of spring).

I have the have tryed loading the bars in the lower hole (Been told this will hit softer on the tire) I have tryed loading the bars different ways any were from 3/4 load on bar to unloaded 1/2 turn.
What would you rec for pinion angle and loading bars? is the bottom hole where I should be?

Thanks for the replys!!
BC

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
novaracer I have caltracs on my 80 camaro I am having my own problems with 60 ft times but I may be able to help you a bit .I use the top hole on the front bracket and it does hit the tire harder and it seems to keep the front end up and this sounds like what you need to do .I think my main problem is my converter has gone for a sh!t .My car was running 1.55 60ft befor it started giving me a hassel now it has gone to 1.6's now that sucks. My car goes [email protected] 123mph or best of 125mph on motor .I'm not saying 1.55's are great cause we all know there not but if you try that top hole it may keep your front end up better so your not spinning later .

·
Registered
986 Posts
Nova racer where did you put the weight? I initally added some weight over the rear axle it did not help. The weight has to be back as far as possible to get enough pitch rotation. Also make sure you have enough front suspension travel. I ended taking off the upper bumpers to gain some more travel. I run my bars lower hole, shocks on 4 (1=soft, 5=firm) with 1/2 turn preload with me in the car.
here is how it typically launches http://www.weekendpictures.net/picpages/stanton8-27-05/pages/IMG_2480.htm

Craig

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
nice car kwik72 I had my bars on the lower hole befor and my camaro seen to do what his car is doing now . I put the bars up and it carried the front better down the track .Ya know novaracer you should listen to kwiwk72 cause he's running a nova I can't see it's much different but it could very well be . Maybe after I get my new converter I'll have to go back and try that again .

P.S. I have a freind that has a 72 nova that runs 1.50's on a slapper bar .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts