Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Color Me Gone'd
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it on one elbow & forearm.....for those of you who have successfully battled this mess, what is the best OTC or home remedy to eliminate? :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
What type of psoriasis is it? Most of the better OTC treatments include salicylic acid, up to 3%. That seems to work the best for me for plaque psoriasis.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Good luck. My wife has it on her scalp, elbows, back, legs, in her eyes and around her eye lids on very bad flare ups. She has tried everthing known to man and it has never "went away"... Colbetasol and Halbetasol cream and solution seem to work best for her. Good luck with it.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
My dad used old motor oil to treat mites on his birds. I would almost be willing to go with an old school treatment over a new world one.
Yup..posion oak or ivy gets in blood stream if i touch it...mama would put ralweigh sauve on it and bam it was gone....its hard to get now

·
Color Me Gone'd
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What type of psoriasis is it? Most of the better OTC treatments include salicylic acid, up to 3%. That seems to work the best for me for plaque psoriasis.
Not sure on the type....it doesn't itch. What brand of OTC salicylic acid do you use?

·
Registered
52 Posts
coal or wood tar works the best...fact
While plaque psoriasis may look like just a skin condition, it is in fact a disease of the immune system. The immune system protects the body from infections and diseases. In patients with plaque psoriasis, certain immune cells are activated and play an important role. They overproduce inflammatory proteins such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF). These proteins can cause skin cells to grow too quickly. The skin cells build up and form raised, red patches often with a silvery scale, known as plaques. These plaques may itch, be painful, and can bleed. Topical treatments may relieve symptoms, but won't stop the disease. Use whatever works for you.....fact.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure on the type....it doesn't itch. What brand of OTC salicylic acid do you use?
Mine started that way too....progressed to itchy patch. Hopefully yours won't. You can pretty much pick anything from the drugstore that contains salicylic acid in combination with skin conditioners to relieve it, check the ingredients and pick one, pretty much.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
While plaque psoriasis may look like just a skin condition, it is in fact a disease of the immune system. The immune system protects the body from infections and diseases. In patients with plaque psoriasis, certain immune cells are activated and play an important role. They overproduce inflammatory proteins such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF). These proteins can cause skin cells to grow too quickly. The skin cells build up and form raised, red patches often with a silvery scale, known as plaques. These plaques may itch, be painful, and can bleed. Topical treatments may relieve symptoms, but won't stop the disease. Use whatever works for you.....fact.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2945847/

fact

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not disputing that it is in use, according to your quoted article it is best used for certain types of psoriasis, and is better for certain parts of the body. If it was the best for all, there wouldn't be many other treatments made and sold. I could quote the same type of published material for other treatments, as I said above, whatever works for you, is the best for you. Coal tar didn't work for me, I tried it for a good while before looking for something else.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Might not help you ..but i found if i eat maple syrup on waffles and pancakes every other day, mine goes away and stays away

·
thread killer
4,075 Posts
Buddy of mine has it bad and he will occasionally go for UV treatment which will clear his skin almost overnight. It really is something to witness. it only lasts for a few weeks though and then it returns.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Psorisis sucks ass. Wait til the the arthritis kicks in.
Best thing so far is embril
Clear of skin and joint problems in a few weeks
Taclonex is the shit for a topical but very$$$$$ all are rx

·
Jesus Built My Hotrod.
3,975 Posts
I use Clobetisol (sp) 1%, it's a Class 1 Rx steroid that is strong stuff but the only thing that knocks out a flare up within a day or two. I have both psoriasis and nummular eczema. Thanks, aircraft carrier!

Using a tanning bed controls it the best, I have only a couple small spots that occasionally flare up now.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts