·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my current setup.

39.5" Class A diesel pusher with 300 8.3L cummins. Air ride and air brakes

Trailer toad

20ft enclosed trailer.

Im either looking at a 28, 30, or a 32 ft trailer next. What would you guys run. Looks like I can get a 30 or 32 cheaper used then a 28 ft used.

Thoughts suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
If you are getting one, I'd go with a 32'. No reason not to have the room if you need it. As to new or used, I looked everywhere for a good used trailer for my stuff, but by the time I found what I wanted, they wanted more for it than a brand new one I had built to my specs. Advantage to a new one is warranty. Mine is five years. ALL the used ones I found were at least 7-10 years old and cost as much or more, and some weren't in as nice as shape as they claimed....I'll never shop for used trailers again. If I need a different one, it's going to be new as well.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bigger is better, its amazing how fast it fills up!!!!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now all that will be in it is a fox body, golf cart scooter. I want an l shape cabinet in front. But the way it looks in a few years I will be in the market for a Jr dragster also. Im leaning more towards a 32. Only thing that worries me is lenghth. I have no problem driving it. Have a class a and drove a road tractor for years. Just worried more about the law then anything

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,512 Posts
i was in the same spot a few months ago .... went with a 28' trailer ..... i should have just went with the 32' and triple axles ... i have a 36' motorhome , but now im looking at 42-45' RV's .... soooo im over lentgh ... might as well just take the chance and be done with it

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
u may want to check with your local dot and see what total length your legally allowed unless u dont care.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
You are right at the limit right now by the time you count the tongue, most states as you know as a truck driver only allow 65' for a truck and one trailer. I would look into a stacker for your application, it would effectively double the space you have.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My trailer is a 32', triple 7k torsion axles.......and a v-nose....I wouldn't go with anything shorter, ever......

·
Registered
125 Posts
we have a 32 foot v nose we have stocked tool box, some cabinets full of equipment, golf cart, generator, and 68 camaro i couldnt see us doing it with a smaller trailer. matter of fact we are looking at bigger trailers

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
As above, where are you going and what total length is permitted in those states. Stackers give space, but a lot more wind resistance and sway in side-winds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Trailer toad
Quick question why are you using the trailer toad for such a small trailer?

With the trailer toad I guess you will not need the extended tongue. Without the trailer toad you will need the extended tongue behind a motor home for sure. So if my math is correct RV 39.5 feet, trailer 32 feet along with a 4 foot tongue plus the trailer toad you are looking at 79 feet +/- total?

N2

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

With the trailer toad I guess you will not need the extended tongue. Without the trailer toad you will need the extended tongue behind a motor home for sure. So if my math is correct RV 39.5 feet, trailer 32 feet along with a 4 foot tongue plus the trailer toad you are looking at 79 feet +/- total?

N2
Its a pusher and the frame of it has all the weight of the engine and transmission behind the axle. Its best for the frame to not have the addition tongue weight. Plus it makes the hole rig ride a alot better.

The main concern with a 32 is length and how much you can get by with before the law starts messing with you> Im mainly in MO. But I see a lot of Rvs with trailers just as long as not longer.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts

N2
Why question someone who is looking at doing it right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its a pusher and the frame of it has all the weight of the engine and transmission behind the axle. Its best for the frame to not have the addition tongue weight. Plus it makes the hole rig ride a alot better.

The main concern with a 32 is length and how much you can get by with before the law starts messing with you> Im mainly in MO. But I see a lot of Rvs with trailers just as long as not longer.
Thanks for the input and good luck on the purchase of your next trailer. Does the unit have enough power to pull that big of a trailer. What upgrades will need to be done to the unit if you go that big?

N2

Why question someone who is looking at doing it right?
Because I wanted to know the reason for using the trailer toad on a 24 foot trailer behind a pusher motor home. I could see using it on a front engine motor home due to the frame flex behind the back tires and overhang of the unit. Pushers are designed for pulling heavier trailers. I am sure with the trailer toad helps the unit pull the trailer better.

I 100% agree if he is going to a 32 foot, 3 axle trailer the trailer toad is a must!

N2

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,512 Posts
one of the big things people dont consider is how the hitch hangs off the back of the frame rails on a pusher . some of them have spacers and drop down brackets to mount the hitch , the hitches are not attached directly to the end of the frame rails .... remember these heavy truck chassis pusher are built on have high frame rails .... and the back fiberglass cap is lower . so they need to get the hitch under that cap somehow , this is where alot of flex and stuff moves around , so mounting a trailer that has 2000+ tounge wieght is going to screw stuff up over time .... this is where the toad helps also ....

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input and good luck on the purchase of your next trailer. Does the unit have enough power to pull that big of a trailer. What upgrades will need to be done to the unit if you go that big?

N2

Because I wanted to know the reason for using the trailer toad on a 24 foot trailer behind a pusher motor home. I could see using it on a front engine motor home due to the frame flex behind the back tires and overhang of the unit. Pushers are designed for pulling heavier trailers. I am sure with the trailer toad helps the unit pull the trailer better.

I 100% agree if he is going to a 32 foot, 3 axle trailer the trailer toad is a must!

N2

The reason for the toad is that We have an older RV. 1995 on a freightliner chassis. The rear axle in set pretty far forward of the rear of the rv. It has the transmission behind the axle and then the engine at the very rear or it. Lot of weight hanging back there. Rated tongue weight with the hitch that was on it was 350 lbs with a 3500 lb max. We built a hitch for it that will probably hold 20,000 lbs as how it is tide into the frame now. But why put all that extra stress on things. We cant afford another rv so we have to make this one last. That is all. We found a good deal on the Rv. It was cheaper then a 5 year old diesel pick up.

As far as power it has a 8.3L cummins rated at 325 hp. Ive driven road tractors with the same motor grossing 80,000 lbs. Wont be the first one to the top but you will make it there. Who cares about being fast down the highway. Your heading to the track for that. You dont know the 20 ft trailer is back there. I cant assume the extra 8 ft and 2000lbs is will make that much difference.

HOpe this explains things a little better.

Im leaning more toward the 28 just because of length issues with laws. Really would like the 32. But I think a 28 will be big enough for what I need.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts