Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ive got a 331 sbf R-block 8.5:1 comp. with a F1R procharger. looking to put a nice set of heads on it and not positive which ones to go with. I am thinking of putting on a set of AFR205's. cam is a custom grind hydrolic roller i got from Jimmy LaRocca back in the day. this is a street strip car and im looking for a set of heads i can just bolt on and not worry about piston to valve clearance. if the guru's need anymore info please let me know. thanks for helping.

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Those heads will work well with the combo that you are putting together . If you plan on upgrading to a solid roller down the road you might want a bigger head as you will be able to rev the engine higher and use more of the cylinder head .

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Just thought I would mention that you should always check piston to valve clearance no matter what . There is no way around it other than rolling the dice . It sounds as if you should not have an issue but better safe than sorry !!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
What are your pistons cut for? That will be a deciding factor also. Like Vader said u need to check piston to valve clearance regardless. It doesn't take long and could save u alot of money.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Being a dished piston, you might be fine. My current setup is a 3.25 stroke, 9.0:1 and I have a ton of room. I have a sollid roller with victor heads. Checking is free.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If it's a tfs r head then a set of Afr 205 won't work but just a standard tfs like, highport then the 205 will work, but still check.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Just use some playdoe and turn the engine over by hand. you will see what you have to work with. You might be able to advance the cam or retard it to gain some clearance. Try it, its free ! You have zero to loose if you do it on one cylinder and do it by hand. A dished piston is like having a giant valve relief anyway...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
If those pistons are specified for use with a TFS twisted Wedge head then odds are likely a 20 degree head wont work if you have very much lift in that cam that you already have. The issue is the valve notches in the pistons are in the wrong place. 17 degree versus 20 degree intake valve angle.

Id look into a set of Twisted wedge heads from TEA. Theyve been setting records and winning races on blower motors with that head for over a decade now. Just look at NMRA renegade for proof.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Run the tfs head. We used to build all of laroccas engines until he sold the shop and got out of racing. It is definatly a better head IMO then an afr 205. Alot of record were set in the late 90s with the TFS . If you already have the afr heads i would check the ptv first. If i remember the cams back then were pretty conservative on the HRs, even for the renegade motors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dont have a set yet,but want to get a new set soon. the reason i was looking at the afr205's is because it looked like a decent head for a out of the box head. i can also get them assembled for 1700 shipped to my door. but if it doesnt fit then its no good to me. i like the trickflow 205s also but they were a bit more expenscive and the chamber is a little bigger which would lower my compression . if i buy from TEA am i getting an out of the box trickflow or is it a head they put together. i ask cause ive seen them for less then $1950. the cam isnt real crazy lift but it does have a ton of duration and lobe separation. if you want the specs just let me know.. thanks for all your help

·
3,084 Posts
call and talk to Mike at TEA, real good guy. as for pricing there are a couple dealers for TEA on here that could save you a couple bucks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts