Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my Nova, I currently have a 412ci. with a 177 blower. and ported 210cc AFR heads. the cam is from Comp. Duration is .236/.242 and lift .565/.575 @.050. lobe separation is 114°
Im currently running 91 octane gas with a 105gph pump and single Holley regulator. In addition to this I have two 375ml/min water methanol jets entering through a carb plate. plugs are -9 NGKs and static compression is 9.1:1.

This seemed to do fine with a 100 shot from an NX plate. Timing was 34 degrees and retarded back to 29 degrees to be on the safe side.

I just switched to an NX Gemini plate and increased the jets to what NX recommends for a 200 shot, but I have some work to do before I spray it for the first time.

I purchased a Barry Grant 280 fuel pump, and Im guessing that I will probably need a second regulator to be designated for the N2O. I will also be going to a -7 plug, but is there anything else I can do to ensure the safety of this engine, while getting full enjoyment from it?

If you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask. I'm very excited to get this on the dyno and hopefully make some passes shortly after.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No problem, just wanted to make sure you knew.
Sorry about the video link, dont know where that came from and i couldnt ninja edit it....damn phone

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Secondly, if i were to use an auxiliary fuel source for the nitrous, would i be better off using a higher octane fuel than the 91 that feeds my carb?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Are you running/going to run a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous (separate fuel cell, pump, lines, and regulator)?
I honestly don't like to mix the fuels, but I know people that have driven to the track, dumped 5gal of C16 into the tank and sprayed it that way, with only one fuel system.
I don't know how your car is setup, so it's hard to say what I'd do in your situation, but you always have the option above.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I've always ran C-16 in my nitrous fuel cell as added insurance, even on small shots. I would retard timing a bit more than the recommended 2 degrees per 50hp since your already making some cylinder pressure with boost. Better to be safe and sneak up on the timing by reading you plugs. Those little blowers respond real well to nitrous, I used to do the same thing on mine. If you don't have a separate fuel cell, you'll have to make up your mind what fuel you'll always be running, 91 will work on smaller shots, but you'll have to retard timing even more, and again read your plugs!

·
Registered
15,350 Posts
Unless you are running catalyst's I would for sure step up to racing fuel when on the spray. As said above pull more timing than you think will be needed to be safe (I would pull 4 more than charts call for) and add a degree at a time watching the MPH. Worst thing that will happen is you will waste 4-6 runs getting it to where it needs to be, best thing that could happen is you add a degree and see the MPH remain the same or drop and realize that if you had ran it with 4 more degrees in it you might have hurt it.

And yes you want two regs, make sure the carb reg is NOT a bypass type (a bypass will drop fuel pressure to the input of the nitrous reg neutering it) and as said run the 12-803 Holley for your nitrous reg.

·
Registered
15,350 Posts
PS I have never run a small blower with the water methanol jet setup. While the addition of water and meth is fine, depending on the amount added it may interfere with your tune. This is because it will (to the best of my knowledge) be spraying a set amount of water/methanol regardless of RPM so as the RPM changes the tune will change....This hopefully will not account for enough of the total volume of fuel flow to be a major issue, but I wanted to point it out just in case it was. Maybe some here are familiar with them on blower/nitrous apps and can tell you if it will be an issue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,
I apologize for my absence. I have some answers for you now. I have decided to run a separate fuel source for the nitrous. My main reason for this is originally, I was using a Holley 105gph pump through 3/8 -6 line to feed both the carb and solenoid through the single 12-803.

I can't imagine that being enough to suffice in my situation, so I bought a 4 gallon cell, installed a BG280 pump to feed the carb through 1/2" -8 line and will use the Holley pump to run the nitrous setup. I also bought a separate regulator, so that issue is taken care of.

As far as the water methanol system is concerned. I have progressive setup (albeit, one that works off of vacuum and not boost) that regulates the amount that the engine takes in through two 375ml./min nozzles.

Now, with what I have told you, what plug should i be running? I put in a NGK 7 plug just for cruising around town, rarely going into boost and not spraying. I changed the plug based on how my 9 plugs were looking. they were blackened significantly toward to the electrode and i must have been very rich. What do you guys think and what plug should i be spraying on?

I appreciate it, gentleman.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts