Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently own this. 2011 z71 4x4, 5.3 six speed auto with all the options except leather, including all towing equipment. Rated to pull 9800 lbs. Mine has 80,000 kms, will be needing tires shortly and undercoating as the oem gm stuff is shit and falling off the frame. Other than that, a great truck

Looking at this. 2007 duramax, 6 speed Allison, with 140,000 kms. One owner. Meticulous to the point of anal. Has a new 2013 front clip as he had an escalade front clip on the duramax, and just bought a new 2013 and wanted the escalade clip on that, so everything from cab forward is brand new. Dealer serviced and I have spoken to them, and they have confirmed that they do all his service, he is anal, and the truck has been undercoated from day 1. Never towed, never hit (changed the front clip because he likes the look of the escalade) and the only reason he bought a new truck, is that the warranty ran out on this truck.

Here's the numbers. All mileages are in kilometers, not miles. My truck will pull my enclosed with all the junk in it, but it is pretty much maxed out. My fear is that sooner or later, I will burn something up. The duramax will pull it all day long, no issues. This will be my everyday vehicle though. Fuel costs are about the same, maybe tilted in favour of the duramax. The deal being offered is my truck, plus $5000.00. Then I still have to pay $1300.00 in taxes to register it, even though its a trade.

You thoughts? Pros and cons?

·
draggin' ass
13,418 Posts
5 years of age on components is alot. With that said so is 60 kms. Personally if the 6300 bucks is not a concern, I would take the deal. Think of it this way, you are in for 1500 easily on tires and undercoating and you still have the same truck you got right now. I would make the trade if you can A, justify the money B, make use of it and C understand the truck is 5 years older and it will come with the associated age.

Remember maintenance costs will be higher with the Diesel and you may or may not like how it rides on a daily basis. If it were my truck I would do it. Quite a few have argued this is about the best year of Duramax to own. No DEF and minimal emissions shit.

·
Registered
16,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My thinking exactly. Minus the $1500 for what my truck needs and I'm back at $5000.00. Yes, it has more mileage, so there will be maintainance requirement that mine will not need.......yet, but I also believe the duramax will hold its value better than my z71. I may find I don't go to the track as much for fear of beating up my dd, where with the duramax, I will have no reservations about pulling the trailer. One of our service vehicles at work in an 03 duramax, so I have a decent idea on the ride quality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think $1500 for what my vehicle needs and I'm returning at $5000.00. Yes, it has more usage, so there will be maintenance need that my own will not need yet, but I also believe the Duramax will keep its value better than my z71.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I bought a 2006 1500 gmc crew cab loaded. brand new. I thought that was a great truck. I put 50,000 miles on it and towed an open trailer. Got a 28' enclosed and needed to upgrade. I was very hesitant to get a diesel, don't know why, just didn't think I would like it,. Traded my truck and 12k for a 2007 2500hd. I have been to Indy twice, Kentucky once , Norwalk Oh, South Carolina, You get the idea. This thing drives and tows like there is nothing back there. No sway control, nothing but a Curt hitch and 2 5/16 ball. The best part is this truck gets 22 mpg with no trailer. Yes it is more maint in that I change the fuel filter every other oil change. And the oil changes are more expensive. But WOW what a truck....
Mine had 51,000 on it when I got it, now has 71,000. But you hear of these trucks going way over 200k. Also, mine gets about 11- 13 mpg towing the enclosed, fully loaded trailer is prob in the 8 to 9,000 lb range. So far the only thing I have had to do besides the regular oil changes is one front hub needed to be changed,

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Sold a 08 1/2 ton crew with a 5.3 for a 08 Duramax crew. Love it. Just like above, pulls enclosed like a boss. Like you I was worried Id burn up my 1/2 ton pulling all the time. Now I can just set the cruise and go. 11mpg loaded, 19 empty, no mods yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts