·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cousin wants his 67 chevelle to hook in the 1/4 mile

sbc with 425 hp and 415trq
th350 with 2300 stall
no p/b or p/s

street driven. it does the hot rod power tour ever year.

does have a 8.2 rear with 3.73 gears and a posi
stock air shocks, all original upper and lower control arms.

questions what upper and lower control arms should he buy. what shocks in stock location. he does get a little wheel hop while doing a burn out on the street and at the track.. maybe an anti wheel hop bars?

the 60' times now are in the 2.30 range. with bfg street tires. also what size of rim was thinking a 15x8 but what backspacing for a 275/60/15

sorry for all the dumb questions, kinda a noobs to coil over set ups.

·
Registered
783 Posts
i would say but the trz control arms they make a great product and the customer service is exellent. for the shocks i would go with afco and the biggest thing would be to get a drag radial that will do wonders to get the car to hook. start there and see how it works. also maybe an anti role bar

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
If you have a front sway bar ditch it.

TRZ Anti Roll in the rear

A 15 X 8 wheel and 4.5 backspacing with a MT 275/60 will give you what you need traction wise.

Good shocks front and rear, QA-1 or Strange Single Adjust for the front and a double adjustable shock for the rear.

TRZ Upper and lower rear control arms.

A set of 2 inch lowering springs for the rear and moroso drag springs for the front.

That should get you started in the right direction.

If you can only afford two items - Anit Roll and Tire would be #1 on my list after ditching the air shocks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you have a front sway bar ditch it.

A 15 X 8 wheel and 4.5 backspacing with a MT 275/60 will give you what you need traction wise.

Good shocks front and rear, QA-1 or Strange Single Adjust for the front and a double adjustable shock for the rear.

TRZ Upper and lower rear control arms.

A set of 2 inch lowering springs for the rear and moroso drag springs for the front.

That should get you started in the right direction.

If you can only afford two items - Anit Roll and Tire would be #1 on my list after ditching the air shocks.

Perfect! Exact set up on my big boat.

TRZ arms with Moroso springs without cutting should put you perfect height in the front.

Since the car is a little heavier and the gear ratio, a 275x60 drag radial would be your best bet.

·
Registered
783 Posts
cant agree more except the drop spindles. if your going to drive on the street alot such as power tour i would stick with the stock spindles and switch to qa1 coil over kit up front and set your ride height that way so you dont lose front end travel for a car that is not setup for just drag racing just my 2 cents

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
only way we could make a qa1 coil overset work was to have it set with the shaft almost all in the shock....

my junk 64 has a set of non adjustable jegs lowers and adjustable uppers , a cheap weld in arb from ebay and a pair of qa1 single adjustables.... went 1.46 with 4.56's and 29x9's....355 / pg. try and get all the front end travel you can. that seems to help a bunch on a mild street car. not sure if the coilover spring trick works on a easrly a body , worked really well on my old g body. also dropped it 2" ...

might ditch the air shocks too.....

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
cant agree more except the drop spindles. if your going to drive on the street alot such as power tour i would stick with the stock spindles and switch to qa1 coil over kit up front and set your ride height that way so you dont lose front end travel for a car that is not setup for just drag racing just my 2 cents
I don't think you read it right, I didn't recomend drop spindle for his car, he needs to drop the rear ride height and that will help with the I/C.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys. he wants to keep it under $1000 for the suspension mods.

well all his bushings in the rear on the control arms are shot. he wants to just buy aftermarket so it hooks.

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
thanks guys. he wants to keep it under $1000 for the suspension mods.

well all his bushings in the rear on the control arms are shot. he wants to just buy aftermarket so it hooks.

you could make it hook with "stock" arms and the right bushings....just saying , don't throw all the cash in one spot and run out of money....look at both ends and figure where to spend to get the most for your money......

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you could make it hook with "stock" arms and the right bushings....just saying , don't throw all the cash in one spot and run out of money....look at both ends and figure where to spend to get the most for your money......
shock tires are the biggest problem with the car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
heres what he said to get

TRZ Upper and lower rear control arms
Strange double adjustable shock for the rear

remove the front sway bar

he doesnt wanna install new front shocks or any coils since they are brand new last summer.

A set of 15 X 8 wheel and 4.5 backspacing with a MT 275/60 will give you what you need traction wise.

anything youd add? guys like the mickey thompson ET street radial tires?

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
heres what he said to get

TRZ Upper and lower rear control arms
Strange double adjustable shock for the rear

remove the front sway bar

he doesnt wanna install new front shocks or any coils since they are brand new last summer.

A set of 15 X 8 wheel and 4.5 backspacing with a MT 275/60 will give you what you need traction wise.

anything youd add? guys like the mickey thompson ET street radial tires?
looks like more than a grand to me....:p

·
Registered
832 Posts
In all honesty, if you are only making 425 HP at the crank, that is a high 12 second ride and all you need to make it hook is a set of drag radials. Spend $400 on tires first. Remove the front sway bar. Next purchase should be afco double adjustables. That one is a killer on the budget and usually gets put off as long as possible, but do yourself a favor now and go ahead and get them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with Greg O, drag radials ,ditch the air shocks replace springs if there shot , I dont think sway bar will affect much at that power level

1 - 20 of 31 Posts