Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a sweet Gen 4 block with all the goodies - filled, splayed billet caps, bored/honed 0.060, decked, line honed, clearanced, etc. I need to figure out what stroke to run with this - 3.766, 4.000, 4.250. Here's the skinny:

* 2700 lb car w/driver
* 33 x 18.5 Hoosiers
* Tranny not decided yet. Leaning toward a 'Glide.
* 12-71 Littlefield w/Enderle birdcatcher on alkeehaul

Shootin' for mid 8's on a MILD tune with low 8's/high 7's in the future. I haveta admit that the idea of building the 3.766 stroke is tempting, if for no other reason than nostalgia.

Have at it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Go with the 3.766 stroke and turn some RPM. I'm building a 4.5 bore x 3.750 stroke blower motor myself. Still piecing it together

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go with the 3.766 stroke and turn some RPM. I'm building a 4.5 bore x 3.750 stroke blower motor myself. Still piecing it together
Wahoo! 8500, here I come!!! :supz:

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
8500? Shit, I was thinking more like 10,200 with the right valve springs.

Stick with a 3-speed if its mechanical injection. RPM loss = pump volume/pressure loss.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8500? Shit, I was thinking more like 10,200 with the right valve springs.

Stick with a 3-speed if its mechanical injection. RPM loss = pump volume/pressure loss.
Good God! 10,200!!! :-DawMan, I must be old. I remember when we wouldn't turn big blocks past 7,000! Sombitch. I need to get a new tach!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Unless your class racing I would build it for the larger displacement. It will be easier to reach your goal and easier on the motor. The higher the rpm you have to turn it the harder on the parts and more often replacing them. If this is your first blower motor make sure you put a good quality crank in it with crank snout support.

Have fun..............blessings................Ron.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Good God! 10,200!!! :-DawMan, I must be old. I remember when we wouldn't turn big blocks past 7,000! Sombitch. I need to get a new tach!
I shifted my last motor at 7500 with a 4.25" stroke. It was 505"

The current motor is being shifted at 7k for now... 568"

·
Registered
445 Posts
Unless your class racing I would build it for the larger displacement. It will be easier to reach your goal and easier on the motor. The higher the rpm you have to turn it the harder on the parts and more often replacing them. If this is your first blower motor make sure you put a good quality crank in it with crank snout support.

Have fun..............blessings................Ron.
I tend to agree with Ron, I can't think of a situation where a shorter stroke length made a better choice, provided you don't have to mess up position of the ring package or grind on the block to make room for a longer stroke. RPM and detonation break parts, build the bigger motor and you'll likely see less of both.

-Chris

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
For your goal I would be modest with the stroke and not go past 4.5

My last chevy was a gen4 block conventional head 4 inch stroke. It was only a lowly nitrous motor but it had all the good parts, Lunati pro-crank GRP rods and Ross nitrous pistons the 4 inch stroke allowed the top ring to be 4/10ths down with a good rod length and pin placement. I ran it 8800 through the traps 300 laps no problems.

I would think that the 4 inch would allow you to build a really durable motor that you could spin with no worries. In addition it would provide good torque without having to pull as much timing to keep the tires and trans happy.

As far as meeting your performance goals with your setup that will be no problem at all.

One thing I would suggest is calling

Cameron at
Torque Converter Services
Columbia, SC 29203

(803) 754-8139‎

They seem to be one of the few people who can build a glide to stand 2000 hp with conventional parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts