Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i need some help here i am wanting to try a set of twins on a sbc 388" i need some help figuring all this out i know the general basics but i would like some more info

id like to do this on the cheap and see how i like it and step it up from there not looking to go super fast at this point maybe 800hp or so enough to put my 3300lb car in the mid 9's

as of right now the car is set up with 3.70 gear 1.80 glide 7530t msd bg 400 pump other than converter and engine parts what am i needing to change out any help on this setup is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
cheap route ebay twin sbc turbo headers $150-200

set of bowrgwarner turbos 1200-1500

2 40 or so mm wastegates $ 400-800

carb hat csu /ev or cheaper spectra $80- 225

blow of valve flebay 50-100 a good one $175-300 or better

fuel pump a1000 $325
return style fuel reg $80-200
upgrade fuel to return to tank fuel cell or mod stock tank
if you have a holley dp you can have it change to blow through for $400
if you have to buy a new one 1000 maybe could find it a lil cheaper
some kind of boost timing module $150-280

cold side tubes plus labor $300 or better if you pay some one

exhaust if a street car $200-600 at a shop

ok if you have a stock block 800 will start stressing things out ........some live some dont

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
could save some cash and go with a single turbo like the borg warner s480 80mm stock cover 900 new wich cuts down on buying 2 of everything still get the ebay header build a cross over tube and run a larger gate like the jgs 50mm unit and make 800 easy no need for twins unles you will be hunting for 1200 or more hp soon ....pluss with the s480 you could put a race cover on it later and pick up more hp with no other changes. and it can be modded into a bigger turbo but that race cover wont work then .... with the s480 if you ever needed to sell it would sell fast and you could go bigger of need be .......i had twin 70mm master power turbos and sold them to get a single but i may be selling the single to go back to nitrous........this is not a cheap route but power can be made easy and if you can get what you need to get the build done it will be money well spent

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the skill and tools to do the fab work thats not a problem i needed more info like in the last two posts i know its involved and costly i dont have the knowlage about turbo systems thats what im really hunting

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
some good info in this thread all ready , very nice i,m looking at switching my 383 over to a turbo deal as well was considering twin but think a decent single with a blowthru set-up . what psitons are you considering ? i,m gonna look at some SRP,s or some Probes it,s a stock block so i,m not gonna drop big $$ on good slugs till i can swing a Dart block or the likes .

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i got probes from ebey with out rings for 299 found a set of h beam rods and had a new scat 9000 crank laying around. my goal is to put some cheap spalyed mains in it and a flebay main girdle half pore the block and stud the heads in hopes of holding 800 ish hp for a while ....if you have a good short block thats 383 and around 9.5:1 comp it would live maybe run a water meth kit insted of a air to air cooler ......i was told to keep the rpms on the stock block around 6500 or so .......my left over money will be spent on a good wastegate (jgs 50mm and the 50mm bov)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i look at a lot of pics on the net ....and i have no welding or fab skilz and i made a hot side ...i just made it to large. from the header every one says the tubes should be 2.5 not 3 inch like i did but im going to run it

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
they ebay twin headers would be a good starting point for our hp goals and cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts