Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 03 psd dually 7.3 4x4 with 85k on it.I just bought this truck last month i have no clue when it was last serviced.When i pull a away from a stop in first gear there is a small vibration at the top of 1st gear only when i put my foot in it.I thought it has been spinning the rear tire.And its only 1st gear so thursday i had my trailer on the truck 28' enclosed that small vibration turned into like a teeth chattering vibration now.Any ideas??????????

·
Registered
557 Posts
TSB 06-23-4
12/06/06
DRIVE-AWAY SHUDDER OR VIBRATION
FORD:
1999-2007 F-Super Duty This article supersedes TSB 05-17-6 to update the vehicle model years.
ISSUE
Some 1999-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles may exhibit excessive drive-away shudder or vibration, under moderate to heavy acceleration from a stop. This may be due to driveline angle. ACTION
Shim the center carrier bracket downward to correct the condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure. SERVICE PROCEDURE
When shimming the center carrier bracket, a maximum of three (3) 1/4" shims may be used (EOTZ-4A209-A). When refastening the carrier bracket use bolt (56564-S2). A 7/16 x 14 grade 5 bolt may be substituted providing that it extends at least three (3) threads past the nut. Use Motorcraft® Threadlock 262, and torque bolts to 46 lb-ft (62 N.m).
NOTE IF THE VEHICLE IS NORMALLY LOADED, ROAD TESTS WILL NEED TO BE PERFORMED WITH THE VEHICLE LOADED. 1. Before beginning the repair, road test the vehicle to gain a feel for the harshness of the shudder/vibration. 2. Install one (1) shim, (DO NOT use threadlock on the bolts at this point), re-road test vehicle. a. If condition is corrected, apply threadlock and torque bolts as directed above. b. If condition is not corrected, re-perform step 2 (to a maximum of three (3) shims) and reevaluate vehicle. NOTE IF THE CONDITION IS STILL NOT CORRECTED AFTER INSTALLING A MAXIMUM OF THREE (3) SHIMS, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 205-00 FOR FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS.

Parts Block
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

062304A 1999-2007 F-Super Duty: 1.2 Hrs.
Road Test To Verify
Concern, Install One Shim
And Road Test To Verify
Repair (Includes Time To
Raise Vehicle And Install
Threadlock) (Do Not Use
With 4602A, 4602A4F)

062304B 1999-2007 F-Super Duty: 1.7 Hrs.
Road Test To Verify
Concern, Install One Shim
And Road Test To Verify
Repair Condition Still
Exists, Install A Second
Shim And Road Test
(Includes Time To Raise
Vehicle And Install
Threadlock) (Do Not Use
With 4602A, 4602A4F)

062304C 1999-2007 F-Super Duty: 2.2 Hrs.
Road Test To Verify
Concern, Install One Shim,
And Road Test To Verify
Repair Condition Still
Exists, Install A Second
Shim And Road Test
Condition Still Exists Install
A Third Shim And Road
Test (Includes Time To
Raise Vehicle And Install
Threadlock) (Do Not Use
With 4602A, 4602A4F) DEALER CODING CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
4A209 42

Disclaimer

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ezstang87 are they talking about the Center support bearing?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks Ezstang87 are they talking about the Center support bearing?
Yes, the center carrier bearing. Also I have seen the rear ends give trouble even taking off straight ahead. The way to usually take care of that is to change the fluid in the rear end and add 2 bottles of ford friction modifier.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the center carrier bearing. Also I have seen the rear ends give trouble even taking off straight ahead. The way to usually take care of that is to change the fluid in the rear end and add 2 bottles of ford friction modifier.
Ok how is the gear lube that has the posi shit in it? Or should i just go to ford for the right stuff ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
most all ford built rears in that series truck run fords synthetic 75-140 oil,depending on year and model rear.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mine had dry U-joints. Sealed OEM w/ no zerts. Couldn't see anything wrong with them 'til they were apart, lots of spalling. :cool: JB

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine had dry U-joints. Sealed OEM w/ no zerts. Couldn't see anything wrong with them 'til they were apart, lots of spalling. :cool: JB
I changed them all when i bought this truck they were wiped out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
the friction modifier was mainly for clutch chatter on pull out and turns really wont help straight pull away.
Yea, thats what I was meaning but I have actually ran into the clutch pack chattering in a straight line taking off. Did a service and added ford friction modifier with fluid and cured the problem. Not really sure exactly why but it fixed it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
yea I agree it could work,when do you get a perfectly flat surface? Or are the tires always the same exact size? If the rear tires are not spining exactly the same amount the limited slip is always working.I have run into stranger shit that could not be explained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ran into this same problem with a 2006 Dodge 3500 last month. Got really bad with a loaded trailer behind it. Turned out to be the rear u-joint. I know you have replaced the joints, but I have installed alot of new parts that turned old quick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts