Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have always ran a sbc. couldnt afford much more, well just got a great deal on a used bbc merlin short deck..What cubic inch is the most friendly? ive heard the 555 is the best..What do you guys prefer, or sugest? ....Thanks... Frank..(67 camaro 2900 weight. back half car. currently runs 9.18. stock sbc block 225 shot big shot plate)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
pick one. id put as big of an arm as u can fit in your car. if u go 4" or up to a 4.5" the cost will be about same from same supplier. id look at 4.375

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks..i thought at some point, it was too much, and that their was a ultimate strong and powerful combo.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a plan then.. Would i have to get the most expensive internals, or just some good forged stuff? what heads do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
when i first started running 8.50 index, these guys had a fully dressed 71 chevelle, With a 565 and a single fogger it ran 8.20's at 160's that was at 3700lbs and about 4-5 years ago. Sorry but i dont know what heads were on it. But yes a 565 short deck with conventional heads is a very popular combination and im sure at 2900lbs 9 now a little more from SB to BB, you looking at running in the 7's and 4's in the 1/8. Good luck !

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that woul be great. thank you sooo much for all the info..any compression suggestions, im thinkin around 13 or 14 to 1 should be good. although, what do i know about big blocks. (nada)..

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
When i bought my camaro 6 yrs ago it had a fresh 565BBC... conventional head (Dart Block) 11.7-1comp. very mild cam. .750lift. Lots of street use. Beat on it for 2 years with a NX 200shot plate. It only had moly rings in it. Never took it apart the entire time. Always ran around 185* on the street. Max temp was 208* one fathers days when it was 95* outside, 30 miles drive. Drove it to my days for his first ride in it. I think it was 120* inside the car though.:rolleyes: We got a best of 8.38 et running that 200 plate 2 tenths out. Same wieght as now, "3375# with mufflers. I sold it back to the original owner. When he took it apart the moly on the rings where alittle beat "which we suspected" and he just had the piston skirts coated. New rings and bearings ......& zipped it back up. That was a nice "low maintence combo" Never had to touch the valves. It had Jesel sportmans...

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
that woul be great. thank you sooo much for all the info..any compression suggestions, im thinkin around 13 or 14 to 1 should be good. although, what do i know about big blocks. (nada)..
what are you goals et wise?...that will help us tell you what would work.you will gain some weight but it will be much faster easily.

·
2013 KING OF THE STREET
1,706 Posts
all in the heads and cam!!! i like 540-565s my self but thats all i have ever had!!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
how much spray? cause i think many will say if lots go 4.25 arm if not much more than your current 225, then if it were me id put a bigger arm in it

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
stronger center of pin(the throw) to center of main with shorter stroke.where i work on crankshaft line i was explained that this is where most of the stress of a crankshaft is.if we find a defect in that zone when magnafluxing, it is worse to find an indication there vs somewhere else. also indications in the radius' are critical zones too. it could be something to consider

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My goals for this combo, would be track only, bracket race kinda stuff. Hope to run mid 8s on engine. then spray a plate bigshot( 200).. to go in 7s. is this possible? As for this stroke and bore thing, their isnt just a 565 kit? their are options? if so, what are they and why? Heads and cam would be great too..I know, this is alot to ask. I figure i should ask those that have, and are doing it. thanks again....Frank...

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
alot depends on budget...eagle crank and rods will live with what you want to do....but a callies crank and oliver rods are stronger,but cost 3 times as much....355cnc pro 1's or afr 357's are real nice...but some curtis boggs victors would be better but alot higher..i like victor single 4 intakes myself..but i feel a tunnel ram is faster,it was on my motor for sure..cams?i usually call to get help on,bullet is pretty good as well as cam motion.

at 3100lbs i think in the 8's will be easy and 7's on maybe 300hp...a bbc will suck 300hp like its nothing with a decent tune.

keep it as light as you can.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Outstanding. Some of the brands ive never even heard of. thanks for shareing the info..now, im excited!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
welcome to your newest addiction...

well if u wanna go sevens on only a 200 shot of nitrous, your gonna need cubes and good intake,cam and heads! i think if your budget will allow, contact curtis boggs! whichever direction u go, its important to get good matching componenets.keep us posted :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts