Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my rear pinon seal and don't know what the procedure is. I asked on another site and got some complicated answers. Is taking out the pinion yoke that hard? Do I need to worry about " preload " and all this stuff? Is there an easy way?

The car is an 86 Camaro with a stock 7.5 rear.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There IS one simple, accurate way...as long as you're only changing the seal. You will need: sharp center punch, small hammer, yellow crayon in addition to pinion nut wrench and seal puller. After removing the driveshaft, center punch the edge of the pinion, the nut, and the yoke. Punch marks MUST be in a straight line so you can line them up on re-installation. With your finger nail, count the number of exposed threads outside the pinion nut...use crayon to write that number on the frame or underside of body. Remove pinion nut and yoke, R&R seal. Reinstall yoke WITH PUNCH MARKS ALIGNED. Install washer and start nut. Tighten nut till you have the right number of threads exposed NND all 3 punch marks are aligned. NOTE, If pinion is loose...you are 1 turn short. IF you over tighten the nut...yer screwed because now you need a new crush sleeve. Be carefull, go slow and accurately. Works like a champ.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts