Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having spark blowout issues once the converter locks up on the dyno. My setup is a 565ci, 13.5:1, AFR 357 head, Autolite 3932, MSD 6 w/Blaster 2 coil, 12v optima using 4ga wire from the trunk.

All connections are good, plugs are .040, wires are MSD 8.5mm, fresh cap and rotor.

Any help is appreciated.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
try any of the 7 series ignitions with the better coils the blaster is basically a rewrapped stock coil

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NO Nitrous, Im coming to the conclusion because my tuner is saying its either that or one of the plugs is bad, however, all plugs have tested good.

As soon as there is load put on the motor (converter lock up) it doesnt want to accelerate. Air/Fuel is spot on.

·
Registered
32,349 Posts
Blaster 2 coils are supplied by the lowest bidder. The original equipment coil off of just about anything is better, even a lot better. E-core coils are your friend, even cheap ones. Plug gap is wider than it needs to be. I have seen the spark jump to the header pipe 1/2" from boot with .030" gap and the C/R you have. Look at it in the dark, if you can.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you sir! Ill gap them back down and see how she runs!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just went through a similar situation with my 7AL/Blaster combo. Make sure the coil is not mounted on its side, mine was and the oil filled coil shorted out internally. I upgraded to the 8251 and gapped to .028, problem solved. (my effective compression ratio is 13:1 with boost)

·
Registered
32,349 Posts
What they said ^^ I have had to go down to .020” on a 14.8/1 18° 434 SBC to keep the spark from jumping out of the plug boots on brand new wires that were ½” from the pipe. The higher the C/R, smaller the plug gap needs to be to keep the voltage required to jump the gap from becoming excessive and pushing the limits of the system’s insulation, wires, boots, coil material, etc. Wide gaps are emission control BS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts