Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an ATI Powerglide (their aftermarket case), and the external solenoid crapped-out. Something was wrong with one of the wires coming out of it. One of the wires appears to have been broken at one time, but with someone’s attempt to fix it, but it finally gave out. Activated the transbrake to back-up the car, and it made some wiring-pop-fizzle noises, and wouldn’t back up. Prior to this it was popping 30amp fuses intermittently. Car is back down on the ground.

I cannot remember which ATI Glide it is, but it’s the model for 1500-1800HP if I remember correctly, and their Compu-Flow transbrake. I was on their website looking at their transbrake solenoids, and it shows different models by part number. Will the solenoid have a part number stamped on it or perhaps on the sticker on the solenoid? I’ll call them also to ask. I just want to make sure I order the right replacement model.

What the hell is the difference between an internal and external transbrake LOL? I’m not a trans guy by any means, but I thought they were all internal. I’ve never had issues with any transbrakes or transmissions I’ve ever had in race cars I’ve owned. Knowing this will ensure I buy the right solenoid, as you can see from the attachment below.

Lastly, is there anything I need to know or do before removing/replacing the bad one? Will fluid come out as I’m trying to remove it? Will obviously have to reconnect the wires, and ensure the ground is good. I’m also running a 16v battery. Thanks in advance.

Font Material property Recipe Tints and shades Cosmetics
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
213 Posts
It doesn’t have to be an ATI solenoid if you can determine the stroke/throw of the unit. There are many vendors selling them just need to know which model you have presently.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Put a dial indicator on the end of the solenoid and push on it to measure stroke. When you remove the solenoid there will be a valve and possibly a spring that you have to be aware of. It might drip a little fluid but fluid. There will also be a gasket on the solenoid. An internal solenoid is exactly what it says, the solenoid is inside the transmission and there is a wire that comes from inside the transmission from the solenoid, you have an external solenoid.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Also, check your ground. Alot of people just run it to the transmission or a close body ground. Which is fine. I ran a dedicated ground that was a wired ground. Some might think that's overkill, but it will never be a problem or consistency issue.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Hutch, and everyone’s input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts