Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
T/S 368E
32,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Does anyone know the exact height difference if I take my top end and stick it on a 10.2 block with the intake spacers???
Trying to figure out if my hood scoop will still fit if I make the change to gain a few inches.
I know the deck height is .400 more, but how much is the vertical height .200, .300 or ??

Thanks Guys.

·
Off the stands for 2018!
20,992 Posts

Does anyone know the exact height difference if I take my top end and stick it on a 10.2 block with the intake spacers???
Trying to figure out if my hood scoop will still fit if I make the change to gain a few inches.
I know the deck height is .400 more, but how much is the vertical height .200, .300 or ??

Thanks Guys.

I don't have exact numbers, but have gone through the same thing with both of my junkers..

One went from a 9.8" to a 10.2" block.....height difference was noticeable looking in through the scoop, but not very much.

If I had to put a number to it, I would say that .250" is close.

·
T/S 368E
32,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, I didn't think it would be a big deal.
The carbon fiber is pretty flexible, and I don't think it'll screw up anything.

·
The Phantom Machinist
1,916 Posts
.400” taller on a 45° bank angle will be 50% of that on vertical height, or .200”. Think pitch and run on a roof. Same thing.

With headers. .200” taller. .200” wider overall on the exhaust port locations in chassis.

·
T/S 368E
32,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't have & don't like side exit, so that's not an issue.
I just didn't want to buy another damn scoop & do all the work again to mount it.

Like I said, the carbon fiber will have plenty of give for this small amount of difference.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Deck Height increase or decrease X .707 (sin 45*) = change in height

.282 is correct

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,460 Posts
Just checked a BBC engine block blueprint for actual height of the block itself and not the deck height. With an actual height of ~10.85" on the short deck and ~11.03" on the tall deck according to this, I don't see there being that big of a difference in the end. 1/4" at the most, going by that specification plus a few thou

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,460 Posts
And here is the drawing I was referring to, in case anyone wants to reference the specs themselves. Should be 10.75" vs 11.03"

Funny thing is you still come up with ~.280"

·
T/S 368E
32,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks again Guys.
I was pretty sure it would only be a couple of tenth's, but wanted to ask in case I had a brain fart.
There should be plenty of flex in the carbon fiber.

Trying to re use the old stuff until I switch to a 14* and then I'll buy a modern scoop and spend the dough building a new pan
instead of the old style soop I've been running all these years.

car in trailer by J L, on Flickr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts