Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many are able to get friends to help with heavy lifting or moving or how many end up having to do it themselves?
I moved my machine shop equipment into my basement and ended up doing it all by myself. Everyone seems to have a bad back these days

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,637 Posts
LIFTING HEAVY....IS GOOD FOR YOU...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Remind them of that when they want free machine work done!:p You find out who your friends are when you have to move that stuff. Me and my Dad moved the heavy stuff for our shop. A buddy let us borrow his wrecker and we put it all in the building before we put the sides on. I can't imagine moving it all into a basement.

·
Aviation Section
25,991 Posts
Tom, mail me a round trip first class, I am 60 but can still get it done, just need cases of Molson to keep me lubricated! Dave

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
How many are able to get friends to help with heavy lifting or moving or how many end up having to do it themselves?
I moved my machine shop equipment into my basement and ended up doing it all by myself. Everyone seems to have a bad back these days
Do you have drive up access to your basement ? My Basement is the other 1/2 of my garage. So its not to bad to get to.

I was off work this week, could have come up there and helped ya !... starting back on Monday. Will let you know if we have another down week.

I have 1 friend that is still strong enough and not hurting to help out ,... and then there is " Sonzilla " 23 yrs. old, 6'4" 350 lbs. Just treat him to a meal afterward and he is game for it. .. You ever see one person walk away with a Hot Tub on their back ? .. while your all standing around trying to figure out how to move it.

2-4 guys with a bad back will help ... if they ever expect to get help themselves in the future.

But even with help, I use my Engine hoist more and more nowadays. I picked up and carried a Kwik Way Valve Grinding Machine by myself in 2009 and my back popped .... will not go through that again !!!

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,637 Posts
Remind them of that when they want free machine work done!:p You find out who your friends are when you have to move that stuff. Me and my Dad moved the heavy stuff for our shop. A buddy let us borrow his wrecker and we put it all in the building before we put the sides on. I can't imagine moving it all into a basement.
YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO REMIND YOUR FRIENDS...WHAT THEY OWE YOU...THAT DECLASSIFIES THEM

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
Tom....you should have called.....I'll work for beer! :) Just remember who was there for you when they come knocking for custom stuff!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Everything is starting to be heavy lifting for me since the surgery. Thank heavens for good friends and a great wife or everything would still be sitting.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i know the feeling but im in my 20s. my friends are just whipped its pathetic

·
2 wheels,no cage,250mph
6,995 Posts
I have a couple of good friends and my brothers.We are always there for each other.I also bought my own 4 ton forklift and a 6 ton meter Hiab knuckle boom for the heavy stuff.My crane truck is my best heavy lifting buddy.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's too bad there was not some YB guys around my area. This lifting was the most dangerous and most important thing I ever had to do
A few guys I know even owe me some cash for work...but they are no where to be found
I don't have a walkout basement yet, but will next summer.This is what made it so dangerous. I like heavy lifting and a challenge but this was kind of stressful
I am just a bit pissed off with attitudes and mindsets of a lot of people, Many just don't try or simply say it cannot be done
You have to wonder how much further ahead everyone would be if people had more of a positive frame of mind
Henry Ford said
if you think you can do it or you think you can't. You are right
My so called friends will be paying list plus 10% for the next job they want..... lol

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I do shit myself and very rarely ask for help. I guess I'm too impatient, by the time help shows up, I can do it myself.

I bought one of these from Harbor Freight, 320 lbs plus the crate.
http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-shear-press-brake-and-slip-roll-5907.html

It wasn't bad getting it out of the back of my truck but about killed me getting it up on the workbench. Once I cleaned all the packing grease off on it and found out it didn't work for shit, it was a helluva lot easier moving it back into the back of the truck to take the fucking POS back. . . . amazing what pissed off can do for ya.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts