Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Puttin'er in the beams!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a couple quick questions.. I recently changed wheel and tire setups, and am curious if I need to be looking to swap tires. My car is around 3950LBS race weight, and will see some street miles. True Street cruises, and stuff like that..

Last season, I was running Weld Pro Stars with 26x7.5 Sportsman Fronts. Those tires seemed to work pretty well on the car, and never skipped a beat on the street.

I sold that setup, and picked up a set of Weld Magnums. The Magnums came with 26" ET Fronts in pretty good shape. I test fitted the wheels, and drove them a few miles on the street. Everything seems fine, I was just curious if I should be concerned with the weight of my car and those tires up front. Also, I know they arent the best for street use.. But is there any issue with running them on the highway? I do a couple of True Street style races a year which require a 30 mile cruise.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Since the ET Fronts are not DOT approved, we cannot recommend driving them on the street at all, especially at your weight. For short bursts of speed, like the dragstrip, they will be fine.

Thanks,

Jason Moulton

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like the look skinnies give but for a heavy street car I prefer a "regular" sized front tire. Never know what weather, road condition might come up---or what situation may require a hard turn. Just my $.02

·
Registered
712 Posts
My car is 3800# w/ me in it and very nose heavy (hemi). I drove around on the street for a couple years on 26" ET Fronts w/ no trouble. Switched to 28" Sportsmans for more ground clearance, drove about the same.

Now if I could only find a 28" tall and skinny radial front tire I'd be happy.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have the 27.5x4.5 ET Fronts on mine. They work great, but like Jason said it's not suggested to drive them on the street.

·
Puttin'er in the beams!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice.. I think Im going to look into selling these, or trying to work a trade for another pair of tires.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I'd just switch to a set of the M/T Sportsman SR Radial fronts for that car if I was you. The car will drive a lot nicer too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts