Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With kids and Daycare,we are considering my wife staying home and getting our own insurance. HMO, PPO, HSA???? What is good and what is the differences? How much are you guys paying for family plans? I'm trying get as much info before we make the final decision.

Right now we have a PPO and really good insurance. Unfortunately it seems to be the most expensive to purchase on your own. Some people have reccommended a HSA through the local Farmer's Bereau.

Damn it's confusing and EXPENSIVE!!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You might look into getting a Catastrophic health insurance plan. They usually have a high deductable, and some routine stuff isn't covered, but if you ever have any serious medical complications, it will kick in. Basically for hospital stays or major surgery. The trade off is that it's a lot cheaper than other normal plans. HSA's are a joke, and HMO's can be good if you have a doctor/hospital you are comfortable with. In the case of an emergency under a HMO plan, expenses are usually covered outside of the network given proof that the incident was a real emergency.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My wife has the insurance, so I stepped down for a couple of years now untill pre school. Day care and the economy was eating more than one pay check. I would try working off hours as I do in my little bussiness. Phone calls and ordering (light stuff in the day) and heavy work at night when the wife gets home. Its a tough deal for sure. but being self employed you should be used to long hours and no pay. LOL.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
With kids and Daycare,we are considering my wife staying home and getting our own insurance. HMO, PPO, HSA???? What is good and what is the differences? How much are you guys paying for family plans? I'm trying get as much info before we make the final decision.

Right now we have a PPO and really good insurance. Unfortunately it seems to be the most expensive to purchase on your own. Some people have reccommended a HSA through the local Farmer's Bereau.

Damn it's confusing and EXPENSIVE!!!
Cost $500 a month and it keeps going up

·
Registered
71 Posts
We recently had to drip our insurance it was costing $2100 a month. I have sleap apnea and use a CPAP at night. No problems since, but that puts me in the same category as a Cancer patient for some reason. With Obama's new program I can not even get insurance just on my kids, only with an adult attached to the policy.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Essurance.com hooked me up with a decent plan (gave comparisons of companies) - my wife and I paid 340/m for both of us, but it raised 2 months later to 394 (at the new year).... before I used Costco to find the company, they cost 700ish a month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts